• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone have a Swiftech MX4000 hs for P4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Angry_Games

Heya all...I am currently using the stock P4 cooler on both the 2.0Ghz 100FSB and the 2.4c 800FSB/HT cpu.

The 2.4c easily goes to 3.075ghz with the stock hsf, but...you know...its time to really see what this baby can do!

so I have been crazily searching for the 'bomb' hs for a P4...seems there aren't as many crazy choices as there are for the AMD...and the best yet I have seen is this:

mcx4000.jpg

Swiftech MX4000 P4 cooler

all the reviews say this is the bomb for air cooling...but I'd like to hear from some ppl that actually have this =)

Thanks!

Travis

PS: i learned a hard lesson buying less-than-stellar coolers like the Volcano9 that were mainly hyped by TT fans and they were highly disappointing compared to a cheaper ThermalRight SK-7 so I am gonna spend the money right this time (the first time!)

I reccommend the Zalman CNPS7000Cu. I also own an SLK-900, but the base was so rough it took a good $8 of sand paper and 6 hours to get it usable, but in the end, it offers slightly better performance at an increased noise level, The SLK-900 is more effecient than the 4000, and the 7000 is more effecient still, so very likely you will get equal performance to a 7000 or 4000 with a much increased noise level.

EDIT- I do own an MCX462+, which is similar, and used it to draw these conclusions.

I am currently using it and am very satisfied with its performance. I got a 92mm Tornado 7 volted thou. I used too have the SLK900U.

MCX4000
ambient : 26
MB (idle/loaded) : 33 / 33
CPU (idle/loaded) : 33 / 38

load provided by 2 instances of FAH.

Although, I would like to try out the new porcupine swifty.

I really like the Swifty for Intel's...Little or no difference between it and a SLK-900...Just built three P-4's using the MCX 4000 and really think they are better than the SLK's...IMHO of course...:D

well...searching around...I see the new Thermalright SLK-947U, which has been redesigned for more mobos and has a larger area to touch the heatspreader...anyone have any info on this new 947?

I'm torn between the SLK-900 and teh MCX4000 grrrrr

everywhere says both are equally as good!

but if I can find one of these 947's, I might try that instead (I love my SK-7's for Athlons oh man they rock for $15.99 @ svc.com)

thx all, keep replying (before i hit hte 'checkout' button heh)

Travis

EDIT: also, whats the word on the YS TMD fans? have they been fixed (they had high failure rate at one time)?

Currently,this is the top rank heatsink you can get for a P4 platform. Really, you'll only see a few degrees difference between this and the MCX4000 though.

As you're torn between Swifty and Thermalright, I say get the Swifty for aesthetic purposes :D

I believe TMD fans haven't exactly been fixed to work all the time, however the problem was discovered. I believe it was a matter of poor shielding from the coils to the outer casing, and that pressure could short the fan. Put some silicone in that puppy, and it should be good.

wierd, i just read somewhere that the TMD's are only 70x70...and the holes for mounting are strange...they dont really fit any normal hs lol...im kinda leery of new stuff like that, I like my old TT SmartFan2 and Enermax adjustables...but im also gonna need a fan for the SLK/Swiftech...any recommendations as to what I should try this time? Must be adjustable!

This is an odd sized fan. It is 74x74x15mm and the screw holes form a 61.5mm square. This fits no common size computer case fan holes and only on heatsinks that use 70mm fans. Be prepared to create, fabricate or alter any fan holes you wish to use. We have no idea why YS-TECH chose such an unusual size but this a very neat product and worth the effort should you decide to get all funky with your case cooling fan set up.
http://www.1coolpc.com/edgedrive.htm

Maybe you should get the SP-94. I own one of those too but bought a 'press sample' for $120, obviously they are good, I find about 6 c difference from it and my CNPS7000Cu with a high output Panasonic fan

Angry_Games said:
wierd, i just read somewhere that the TMD's are only 70x70...and the holes for mounting are strange...they dont really fit any normal hs

The Swiftech MCX4000 is fully compatible with the odd-shaped TMD fans, so no worry there. It comes with different mountin hardware. You can also use 80x25mm, 80x35mm, 92x25mm, or 92x35mm fans on the 4000 as well by switching the mounting hardware again. Here is a link to the product spec page, with examples showing different fan arrangements the cooler supports.

I believe that the SLK series clips also allow for mounting a TMD fan, however as mentioned above, you'll want to put a little more insulation inside the casing by the coils for a little more piece of mind.

Last edited:
One of the great things about the MCX-4000 is you can use 92m/m fans with it...Requires no lapping...Easy to clean...And is right there with the SLK-900...Fits on any P-4 motherboard...The MCX with a 92m/m fan is a hard combination to beat... :D

lol being a fanboy isnt that bad...at least he has had one and can give an opinion (lol and hasnt gone into the rabid fanboy craze about it!).

I finally went with the SLK-900U, though I really wanted the 947 (well, I have one more to buy one for) and an enermax 80mm adjustable.

Next one will definitely be an MCX4000 just to have one of them too. Owner of 1coolpc.com said they were basically evenly matched but he liked Thermalright better just because of they are easier to deal with heh.

thanks everyone!

Travis

I'm currently using a Swiftech MCX4000 with a 80mm Thermalright fan on it. It's satisfactory :p

BUT I'm buying this new system with a 2.4C (instead of the 2.4B I have now) and I ordered a SP-94 I thought I might try it out.

I have found through experience that Swiftech has far and away the best customer service of any of Heat Sink manufacturers that I have dealt with...Cant remember the guy's name, but he is always there and knows his stuff backwards and forwards...And he is nice...To be quiet frank I have become not much of a Thermalright fan because of the lack of customer service...They shoot you over to Bob to answer any questions about their products...Are testy over the phone and have never returned one of my emails...Just my experience...I am sure that there are people here that will take offense to my saying anything bad about Thermalright, as is their right...I have chosen to stick with Swifty's...And before you flame me I have owned a SK-6+, SLK-700's, SLK-800, SLK-880U, and both flavors of SLK-900's and the AX-7 or what ever they call it and most of them have required lapping...I will only use Thermalrights for motherboards that do not have the four heat sink mounting holes on them...The last SLK-800 with a 80m/m Enermax adjustable fan, that I bought for my newest box that uses a Soltek board, flops in the breeze and is a whooping 1C better than one of my SK-6's with a Y.S. Tech TMD fan...Just my experience... :eek:

Back