• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on my 2nd computer to play with

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dragon_788

Registered
I'm sort of spoiled because I got a new computer for college, I built it myself but I'm leery of OCing it yet because the newness hasn't worn off and my buddy who owns the computer shop won't warranty it if I **** (insert favorite expletive here) it up. Its a 2800+ 512k cache with 1 GB of DDR400 Dual channel running on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe board. The Thermaltake Volcano 11+ cools it to around 45 Celsius, not great but it works. The Geforce 5900 Ultra 256MB w/VIVO was the most expensive part in my computer, but it makes for some nice UT2003 @ 1600x1200 with everything to the max. I also purchased an Audigy Platinum 2 and a Sony DRU510A for multimedia purposes and have it all in a Xaser III case with an Antec Tru550 powersupply. I'm running 2 WD 120GB SATA drives and currently have both chock full. Enough about the money sucking beast.
On the OC *itch. I'm wavering between a 1700+, an 1800+ ($54.50 US), or a 2500+ ($83.50 US), it really depends on the speeds I can get with the boards I'm looking at (read afford). I'm planning on using the Thermaltake Aquarius II W/C kit I got, but I'm pretty sure I'll need to revamp it with a bigger pump or better radiator/ice bath if I OC for long. The procs will probably come from MA Labs, the distributor my buddy buys from. Most of the parts I'm getting come from there, a few come from ASI but I like MA Labs better. The boards I'm looking at are the Shuttle AK39N, Gigabyte GA-7VA, Gigabyte GA-7VT600L, MSI K7T Turbo 2, and the MSI KT4VL. I like the flashy showy Gigabyte boards and the MSI boards aren't bad either, what I plan on getting for a video card is a Geforce2 with 64MB of DDR, not great I know but I can upgrade later, I have a friend who will be selling his Ti4?00 when he can afford a new card (yes that is a question mark, he isn't sure). I'm getting 512MB of Kingston DDR400 RAM and putting my old Audigy Platinum eX and my old WD 120GB PATA drive in also. I have a pair of Intel gigabit cards that I'm going to use a crossover cable between from my main computer to this one, so this one will basically be an external hard drive unless I find it plays games better than my "main" computer *gasp*. Any advice would be welcome, I will probably eventually get another 1700+ from the same friend that I might get the vid card from, he wants to upgrade but is a poor college student like me. I'm getting these parts at cost (what my buddy pays) but I also pay for the shipping, which is actually pretty reasonable, and I'm looking at spending around $200-250 max on these parts, I have some other parts I'm getting but they pretty much set in stone. If you'd like to know the prices I can get on these parts to give a better recommendation just ask.

No matter what mobo you get, get Nforce2. I would easily recommend the AN35Ultra over the AK39. The Via chipsets do not have a PCI/AGP lock and the Nforce2 boards do. Best overclocking board out right now is the Abit NF7-S, but if you can't afford it you probably would not be dissapointed with the AN35 Ultra (unless you eventually want SATA or Firewire on there without buying cards).

As for cpu, I would get the 1700+ as they seem to be better for raw clock speed.

I agree with funnyperson1. There just isn't a reason to buy a kt400 anymore unless you have absolutely no money and can get a kt400 for 10 bucks.

I was looking thru the list of boards that are available again, and I noticed that KT6 Delta-LSRs aren't that much more expensive than the Gigabytes and a K7N2 Delta-L is a bit more than a KT6 but its an nForce2 board. Would one of these be better than those I listed before? Thanks for the ideas and suggestions guys, with the money I save on a proc, I might be able to get an Abit, if not would one of these be better. Thnx alot for the advice guys!

*Edit*
I just thought that instead of making another post I'd ask here, what vid card should I get that is OCable and around (or hopefully under) $100 bucks? I'm looking at a Ti4200 but I've heard FX5200's aren't that great at OCing, but they are cheaper than the Ti4200s, and this is a 2nd machine, so its really all about the OC. Thanks again for the advice.
*End edit*

Last edited:
I guess I'll make another post for this, but is there any real difference between the Abit NF7 and the NF7-S other than the Serial ATA, Audio, and RAID? I'm asking because I don't need the extras as this is a secondary machine, but I don't want to hurt the OCability of it by getting the cheaper motherboard. I'm also putting an Audigy in it as I stated above so I won't need the onboard audio.

Nope, same chipset except without some features. Definitely get one if you can afford - I have Rev2 A7N8X delx and am happy ++ over my KT333's relegation to the sidelines.

Yeah, I like my A7N8X Deluxe also, I was just wondering if the -S OCed any better than the NF7, or maybe worse because of overhead?

Get the plain jane NF7 since you don't need super duper integrated sound or SATA RAID. It is built to OC just as well as the -S version. I also think the Ti4200 is the best overclocking card in it's price range.

I hope the MSI Ti4200 OCs well, I'm paying around $120 for it, do you think OCing it will make the VIVO act up?

Just another quick question, would it be better to get a 1700+ DLT3C ior an 1800+ DLT3C if I could get my hands on one? This is considering the hardware I'm looking at in the above posts, with the mobo probably being the Abit NF7 or NF7-S.

yes, nforce2 is the way to go

im in the process of getting my 1st one after using via chipsets for over 3 years

need more O'C options for next rig.

Sorry guys, another sorta dumb question, would I be better off getting PC2700 or PC3200 b/c I'm still not sure about the proc but I need to know if I can go higher with one or the other RAM?

pc3200 definitely, i've heard some ppl have reached 200mhz on pc2700, but not everyone, but you're guaranteed 200 w/ pc3200(as long as the proc/mobo can do it)

OK, I've decided to go for DDR400 Dual Channel, is there a huge difference between Geil and Corsair in terms of OCing, or would I be better going with Hyper X? I'm trying to stay around $100 for 512MB (2x256). Keep in mind I'll get it maybe $10-20 cheaper than you can find some places because I get it at cost from a friend, but I don't want to go much more than $100, as I only have around $350 to spend and I want to get a decent mobo and vid card as I stated above.

dragon_788 said:
I hope the MSI Ti4200 OCs well, I'm paying around $120 for it, do you think OCing it will make the VIVO act up?

are you getting the 4x AGP or 8x AGP version of the Ti4200? with the MSI cards, the 8x AGP variants are crappy OCers....i cant even dream of getting to 700MHz mem on my Ti4800SE, which is an 8x card from MSI.

dragon_788 said:
OK, I've decided to go for DDR400 Dual Channel, is there a huge difference between Geil and Corsair in terms of OCing, or would I be better going with Hyper X? I'm trying to stay around $100 for 512MB (2x256). Keep in mind I'll get it maybe $10-20 cheaper than you can find some places because I get it at cost from a friend, but I don't want to go much more than $100, as I only have around $350 to spend and I want to get a decent mobo and vid card as I stated above.

im using geil golden dragon, and i think this stuff kicks ***, definately good. you may be able to tighter timings @ the same FSB with hyper X, but golden dragon is pretty cost effective, and mine will do its factory 2-3-3-6-1T timings @ 230FSB no prob.

This is the video card I'm looking at:

MSI GeForce4 TI4200 8X VIVO&DVI&2H 128MB AGP Video Card

Specifications
Mfr Part Number: MS-8894-060
Chipset: nVIDIA GeForce 4 Ti4200-8X
Memory: 128MB DDR SDRAM
Connectors: VIVO/DVI/Dual Head
Bus: AGP 8X

Here's a link: code/http://www.malabs.com/product.asp?product_sku=72418&item_no=MSI%2D420VTD&show=b&pass=&shopid= \code

Back