• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

getting me an opteron :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaltag

Yeah that's right and there's nothing you can do to stop me. A64 hasn't impressed me as much as opteron and I'm looking for something a little different and FAST for a change. I'm planning on the sk8n from asus for the mobo, a 144 (1.8GHZ), and a gig of samsung registered PC2700. That will paired up with my 9700 PRO and maybe a set of raptors in RAID :D. I'll probly stuff it all in a coolermaster or LianLi. When I'm done what tests do you all me want to run? I will of course make an attempt to OC the thing and so far my research tells me that the 144s are hitting 2GHZ without much of a problem. I'll keep you posted and as always feedback is welcome.

edit: whole setup will run me around 1100, most expensive I've built in a while!!

Last edited:
I have to ask have you seen the latest benchies that quad damage has gotten over at tbreak forums and futuremark? All with the a64 single channnel, 20k stock for the 3200+ with 9800pro for 3dmark

yea but the opteron should have better benchmarks at the same speed if its running dual channel.. thats why he has chosen to go with opteron instead =d

cherryp00t said:
yea but the opteron should have better benchmarks at the same speed if its running dual channel.. thats why he has chosen to go with opteron instead =d

True, plus the opteron has a full 128 bit memory controller as opposed to the 2x64 on the FX64. At least that's how I understand it.

And if quad damage's benches are real, then NO an the opteron cannot perform the same as the athlon 64 at the same speeds despite its dual channel 128bit memory controller. At least current opterons can't. The opteron at 2.2ghz is around 6 thousand 3dmark points behind the athlon 64 at 2.2ghz, though his radeon was overclocked. You just have to wait and see. Personally I'm with Shade00, to wait for the A64, especially if its only a 144. I was going to buy opterons, but now I'm waiting for the athlon.

Back