• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What cooling to choose

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Onizuka

I need help on picking out what to do about cooling for new comp. Im going to have a Barton 2500+ on a NF7-S. If Im not mistaking Thermalright is the way I should look for Heatsink. I need to know which one I should get, 800,900,947. Also I need help picking out some fans. For the heatsink fan Im thinking Smart Case Fan II or a Tornado. I dont want it too loud though and I hear the Tornado is LOUD. What fans would you recommend for the 5 case fans? I need something that will keep stuff cool but wont be too loud.

Thanks!

Thermalright seems to be the best for performance. As for which one, I'm not sure, as they are all great. Depends on whether 1 degree C difference or something is worth $10 to you.

The Zalman 7000 seems very good if you are after near silence and good cooling.

From what I read Panaflow 80mm are good case fans. If you have cash to burn, get Papst, which are pre-balanced.

I'd choose the Smartfan 2 over the Tornado. I have both, and the Tornado is so loud that I haven't used it since I managed to get on page 1 of the ORB (3DMark2001, 1.5 yrs ago when the top score was Macci at 13K or so... what a long time ago that was). The Smartfan's maximum flow is slightly less, but can be adjusted to be fairly quiet when you are just surfing the net etc with the included reostat.

Last edited:
sorry for the misunderstanding. I meant Panaflow 80mm for case fans, not for the heatsink.

but I guess 92mm would be better as case fans too, if you can find quiet ones that fit the case.

Go with the slk-900 and you can mount a 92mm fan on it. Typically with a bigger fan you can move the same amount(or more)of air with lower decibles. Just as a warning though the tornado is loud. Really loud. If you go with a pretty high powered fan that doesn't have its own way of controlling fan speed(like the smartfan II) then either make sure you can live with the noise or get a fan controller.

yea unless you are very tolerant (sp?) of fan noises, do not get the tornado... it is obnoxious. IMO

Onizuka: what Deathknight said and I recommend for a smartfan that has a controller, whether you overclock or not, you can control your noise/temp ratio with it. I am using a ThermalTake smart fan 80mm on a SLK 800(U) and it works great, those heatsinks are really efficient.

Bout the Smart Fan, will it monitor the temp itself and adjust speed according to the temp? Im probably going to get a Vantec Nexus to control case fan speeds.

Smartfan uses a thermistor and varies by ambient temp (not very well I might add). you can cut it off and reconnect the wires to make it run full speed. Or you can extend the wires and stick it in the heatsink fins to put it closer to the heat so it runs faster.

Smartfan 2 has options. You can set it to full speed with a jumper. You can use a little dial to change the speed. Or you can use the temp sensor and stick it next to the cpu core.

Oh ok Ill get a the Smart Case Fan II then. I was wondering what should I do about my 2 intake and 2 outtake fans? I need some that will move air but wont be too loud, I thinking about some Vantec Stealths. What exactly is the difference between sleeved and ball bearing, ball bearing cost like $5 a piece while sleeved cost $2 a piece????

Ball bearing will last longer. I would go with cheap ones and not overly concern your self with moving a whole lot of air. 30-40 cfm would be plenty for 80mm's.

i would get some 80mm panaflows for case fans. Or some LED fans if you have a window.

I dont think I want to spend $50 on a heatsink, the SLK-800 for $40 is as high as I really wanna go =X. I have heard only real difference in the 900 and 800 is about 1 degree in temp is that true? Also whats difference between 800(A) and 800(U)?

Thanks!
-Onizuka

Back