• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton 2500+ AQXEA 0331 SPMW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Err. I cant even Manage to get this baby past 188fsb on my A7N8X.

I think it is my board cause that seamed to be the fsb limit of my last cpu, which was an 1800+ as you can see from my system spec below.

I corrupted the data on my new 120 WD sata drive from screwing around with the fsb. sigh :(

Its a good stepping. Seems to be hitting 2.3 pretty easily. If you're running into a fsb wall, i suggest dropping the memory fsb ratio if your board supports it. IF this works, than your ram is limiting you and you should get faster ram for max performance. You can try increasing the NB cooling, as i was able to move past 186 to 200 with a little more airflow on my sink.

I corrupted the data on my new 120 WD sata drive from screwing around with the fsb. sigh

How did you corrupt the data? The A7N8X has pci locks? Did the ram crap out and lead to corruption?

ITs the ram your mobo has pci lock meaning its impossible to corrupt your harddrive through an out of spec pci bus. Try running your memory at 75% of bus speed. It'll be a performance hit but its better than having corrupted data. To fix the coruption simply reboot the computer at stock speeds. Win xp and me are very good at recovering from coruption errrors on there own. failing that a repair installation shoud do the job.

Crucial PC2700 is not known for its OC prowess.

I'd keep your FSB right at 166 and just adjust the multiplier, then you'll be able to know the MHz limit of your chip.

Thanks for the replys.

I will try dropping the memory fsb ratio. I had no problem with the memory when it was running at 188fsb with my 1800+ as seen in my specs below.

I was messing with the 266/333fsb 400fsb jumper on my mobo. That might have contributed to the FAT corruption.
Anyone own rev 1.X of asus A7N8X, what does that jumper really do? Feed the vdd with a jumper maybe?

Also. when I was repartioning the drive. I had asus post reporter on. And it said "system failed memory test"
I never heard it before, but then again... I never had post reporter on before this :-/

I have been running my crucial in dual channel for 188fsb so long. maybe I am running them into the ground!? :confused:

Sorry this is a little out of the subject, but what stepping do you have on your 2500+ Mizzery? The whole code would be nice to know for comparison. :D

watch the memory ratio stuff, i've tried it and it wouldn't boot, the a7n8x dosn't seem to like it, good luck though

Solari said:
Sorry this is a little out of the subject, but what stepping do you have on your 2500+ Mizzery? The whole code would be nice to know for comparison. :D

Axda2500dk4vd Y857598250648
Aqxea 0327tpcw

Oh a y chip that might hit 2.5 with some good cooling and higher volts. and molester thanks for pointing that out. In my experience with the a7n8x the 75% and below ratios workes and the 100% ratio worked any others would result in a no post.

Weeks, sSpecs and steppings are practically useless. This is because not every CPU from every stepping and week is overclocked, so it's impossible to know the best overall. People only know which ones seem to overclock the best. Overclocking is unpredictable because a CPU from a popular stepping/sSpec/week might overclock poorly, and likewise a CPU from an unpopular stepping/sSpec/week might do very well.

Another factor is user error. A certain CPU might be capable of 3.3GHz on air-cooling, but if the user isn't a very knowledgeable overclocker, or one or more of his components are sub-standard, he may only reach 3GHz. This user then decides to go on some forum and write about his "crappy stepping that only reaches 3GHz," when the fact is that the CPU is capable of more. This is why no stepping will guarantee a good overclock, or indicate the speed you will get. Every CPU is different, so the only way to find out how far you can overclock is to try it and see.

Akira283-IGN said:
Weeks, sSpecs and steppings are practically useless. This is because not every CPU from every stepping and week is overclocked, so it's impossible to know the best overall. People only know which ones seem to overclock the best. Overclocking is unpredictable because a CPU from a popular stepping/sSpec/week might overclock poorly, and likewise a CPU from an unpopular stepping/sSpec/week might do very well.

you could have started your own thread for this statement, instead of paste-ing it into serveral open ones :)
People asking for good steppings when buying their proc know what to expect in very good approximation, and they *are* important (from what I have seen on this forum and elsewhere)
are you refering to barton steppings only?
and ofcourse there will be a minimal % of processors in every stepping that fail to o/c as good as others, so what lol

borg said:

People asking for good steppings when buying their proc know what to expect in very good approximation, and they *are* important (from what I have seen on this forum and elsewhere)

They're not important for overclocking, and you can't approximate overclocks based on such a small amount of results. This isn't some theory that I thought up about steppings - it's fact.

and ofcourse there will be a minimal % of processors in every stepping that fail to o/c as good as others, so what lol

You have no idea what the percentage is, so don't make false claims.

Back