• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4C800 memory question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Serville

Registered
I'm a little confused with the memory configuration for this board.
Can someone help me please.
I plan to use Intel 2.4GHz 800MHz processor, and I wonder what type of memory I should use. I know some people will consider PC4000 memory which is too expensive for me. I don't mind suffering a little memory performance hit if I can save some money by using a slower memory.

Questions:
- Min. memory speed to run 800MHz fsb processor ?
- Does Dual-Channel only run if I use a special dual-channel memory type ?
- I know Dual channel needs 2 sticks on slot 1 & 2. If I intend to use 512MB, does it mean I need to buy 256MB x 2 ?
- Does this board have asyncronus memory timing to run the memory at different speed than the processor ? What dividers are available ? Say, can I use combine the 800MHz processor with PC3200 ?
- The 800MHz fsb is quad-pumped, right ? That means the memory only runs at 200 fsb ?

One more thing, what are the benefits of using P4C800 over P4P800 ? Unless I gain substantial benefits, I will prefer the cheaper P4P800.

P4P800 have IE1396 onboard ?
Thanks.

You can use PC2100 if you wish, but i don't recommend it.

Dual channel simply means you use 2 memory sticks of the same speeds.

You would need to put you 2 sticks in slots 1/3 or 2/4 NOT 1/2. If you prefer to have 512mb then yes 2 x 256mb sticks is what you would need.

You have the option to run the memory to cpu in a ratio of 2/3, 4/5, 1/1.

THe cpu is quad pumped from 200fsb to 800Mhz, the memory is daul channel so 200FSB yeilds 400Mhz.

P4C800 uses the the i875 chipset and the P4P800 uses the i865. It's a toss-up soo many people feel the P4C is better then the P4P, but many have said that is not the case. It comes down to your needs/preferrence. If you want to save a few $$ then go with the P4P800.

Not sure offhand if the P4P has onboard firewire.

Back