• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thunderbird 1.4g clocking question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoopyLee-C

Registered
I have just got a board and Thunderbird 1.4g off a friend. I have had a little experiance in clocking P4 CPU`s with Eazytune 4. I want to clock the 1.4 Athlon but dont know about the voltage settings. I have looked on CPU clocking on the home page but want to know what is a safe voltage with standard Heatsink & Fan.

Any help would be helpful.

Lee

In addition to doing more work per clock cycle, Athlon XP's power requirement was reduced by 20% when compared to old Thunderbirds which used to run very H_O_T.

When you increase voltage, you increase the temperature, and Thunderbird retail heatsink is designed to barely take care of the heat at default speeds.

You will not be able to tell the difference between default settings and a OC'd Thunderbird with a retail heatsink and you run a risk of burning your Thunderbird by increasing voltage on a retail heatsink.

Note that with cheapest Thermalright or equivalent heatsink, $40-something Thoroughbred B Athlon XP will run twice as fast as a Thunderbird with retail heatsink as it will reach the PR rating speeds of 2800+ to 3200+ and PR ratings are nothing but Thunderbird speeds.

So if I get a better heatsink and fan there should be no reason I should not be able to hit above the 2000mhz mark.

I have increased the FSB but NOT the voltage and it locks up. Do you have to increase the voltage when clocking ?

The CPU comes up at 1400mhz and is a 1400CPU but I thought Athlons always were lower 2400+ = 2000mhz ?

Did they make a Athlon 1400mhz cpu that was actualy called a Thunderbird 1400 and actualy run at the same as it`s name ?

Athlon Thunderbirds do not have a PR rating. Only Athlon XP's do.

Athlon Thunderbirds were released in mid 2000. The last Athlon Thunderbird (1.4 GHz) was released in June 2001. They do not overclock as well as the generation of AMD CPUs that came after them: Athlon XP:

http://www.pbase.com/image/17079307/original

There are three Athlon XP core names.

Palominos are locked and don’t overclock as well.

Thouroughbred (A & B) and Barton Athlon XP’s are unlocked and overclock much better.

All T-Bred A’s average 2.0 GHz.
All T-Bred B’s and Bartons average 2.3 GHz.

Thunderbirds cannot begin to approach the overclockability of T-Bred B’s and Bartons.

Of course a lot depends on the rest of the system as well.

Overclocking the Thunderbird with retail heatsink may not be worth the risk since the gains cannot be “felt”. With a better heatsink, it may be tough to get 1.6 Ghz out of it, if that.

You will be lucky to get much over 1.6ghz with a 1.4ghz T-bird (I got 1680 about 80% stable). Most likely you won't be able to keep it cool at the voltage you would need to run over that with air. The t-bird is a very hot chip (.18) compared to the t-bred/bartons (.13). Check the CPU database on the main page, any OC with the 1.4 athlon over 1.8ghz is with at least watercooling, usually more exotic methods.

The CPU comes up at 1400mhz and is a 1400CPU but I thought Athlons always were lower 2400+ = 2000mhz ?

The PR system didn't start until the first athlon XP's. So the t-birds run at their advertised speed. Technically the XP PR system was based upon the T-bird. For example a T-bred @ 2.13ghz is equivalent to a t-bird at 2.6ghz.

The thunderbird procs maxed out at 1.4ghz so overclocking headroom is next to nothing. My old 1.4tbird only hit 1590 mhz stable w/air cooling.

Back