• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you guys mean by Volt Modded?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aristotle-IV

Registered
I have a 3000 333fsb version at 11x210, I would like to go higher what is this volt modding im hearing about?

Thanks

Some Asus motherbaords like the Asus A7N8X v 1.x need to be volt modded because they only allow you to bump the vcore to 1.75v.

Since the newer bartons run at a default vcore of 1.65, you only have .1v to play with... in other words you dont have much to persuade your chip into perform any better.

Generally, as you increase the fsb you will also need to up the voltage to feed the power hungry core.

as for how the volt mod is done, i have no clue.

:(

volt mod is to get more juice to the sb and nb, there are numerous ways of doing it....

the vcore on that board goes up more than just 1.75v, i've had 3 cpus, paly 2100+, tbredB 1800+, barton 2500+ and i could go all the way up to 1.85V on all 3 of them...

Aristotle-IV what are you computer specs?

Volt mod is a generic term for using resistors and rheostats (or the absence thereof) to adjust/raise the voltage to any number of components in your system. Most commonly Cpu, memory, and north/southbridge. Although you can also voltmod your gpu, your video cards ram, and Im sure several other parts of your system as well.

Volt-modding always carries some risk. And you need the equipment (resistors, potentiomemters, wires, and solering iron) to do it. On AMD CPU's you can volt mod by connecting L11 (I think) bridges.

I've killed an 8500 video card and an 8rda by volt-mods.

BTW. The A7n8x will go up to 1.85v for 1.65v default processors. 1.75v for 1.5v default processors. my mistake.

Back