• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4P800: How fast can your FSB go with synchrous (1:1) overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

coughman

Registered
I'm an overclocking newbie here and I am trying to achieve 1:1 overclocking. Here's my specs:

P4P800 deluxe
P4 2.8C
Corsair XMS 3500C2 256MB x2
ATI Radeon 9700 pro
Seagate Barracuda V SATA 120GB
Kingwin KT-436 case with 5 fans
Sunon 40mm fan (for northbridge)

My best stable FSB is 209Mhz. When I go to 210Mhz Prime 95 starts to gives out errors. At 210Mhz my corsair sticks (DDR 433) are running at 420Mhz, which is well within specs.

BIOS settings:
FSB 210Mhz
DDR frequency: auto
PCI/AGP 66/33
CPU voltage: auto
memory voltage: auto
AGP: 1.5V

Any suggestions are welcome.

that is weird. you should kick the crap out of that FSB.

i also am sticking to 1:1 oc'ing with the same board so i can enable MAM. what bios version do you have? seems most people favour 1008.04 which is what i am running now- though 1009 & 1010 did not affect my oc badly just enabling MAM though.

2 x 256mb hyperxPC3200 ram @220 fsb / timings are stock
DDR frequency:400
CPU Voltage:1.525v
DDR voltage:2.65v
AGP voltage:1.5
AGP frequency: 33.33/66.66

I'm using 1010 now. I tried 1008 before and I still hit the same wall at 210Mhz.

My memory timings are stock.

When I run Prime 95 torture test, my CPU load temp is up to 56C. My motherboard can go up to 50C. I think the temps are ok right?

Finally I have figured out what's wrong. I have upped the DDR voltage to 2.6V now and I'm running smoothly at 215 FSB. My PC3500 memory is running within specs.
With the higher voltage my memory is a few degrees warmer at over 40C, hopefully that's ok.

Welcome to the forums!!!

Corsair recommends running their memory at 2.75v. 2.85v is safe too and well under spec for the IC's (3.6v max for most). Bump the voltage to 2.85v and you should get a bit higher.

-Bobby

From my experience with PAT and turbo etc enabled in BIOS the memory has to be rock solid at 1:1 to get above 220. Most of what i've read saia they have to turn up the Vdimm to accomplish this, although most are pushing PC3200+. I imagine it's not a much trouble with some nice PC4000 sticks. s

Yep, DDR loves voltage.

I understand you want 1:1 overclocking, but for now drop the mem divider to 3:2 (DDR266) and find the limit of you CPU. That way you can go back to 1:1 (DDR400) and know that if there are problems below your stable CPU FSB, your memory is the problem.

with the rig in my sig the best i could do was 220fsb @1:1 timings pretty stable. at 5:4 i can go over 260fsb with mam enabled and break 5500mbs sandra memory scores like clockwork vs a lot less with my highest 1:1.

also average temp is 31-34 at load 47-49 stock cooling but i have a big case full tower. 1 front fan blowing in...side window fan blowing in plus 2 exhaust in the back.

Last edited:
If you can get that much higher at 5:4 why would you stick with 1:1?

Also, am I reading that right? 260 FSB stable with a 2.8C? That's 3640 MHz...

Note that recent discoveries have shown that despite SANDRA scores going through the roof with higher memory speeds, there is much more benefit in programs like 3DMark (and thus hopefully in real games) from lower memory speeds and resultant lower latencies.

So, SANDRA is not as important as it once was, and latencies are again now important on Intel systems.

at 5:4 ratio with 261 fsb which i am running now my cpu speed is in my sig....3.13ghz. i keep mine at this setting. mam & turbo enabled now it runs stable @ these settings with a 2.4c

Yeah it's me coughman. Since my 2.8C has much less headroom than the 2.4C, don't think I can go too far on the FSB. So 1:1 overclocking is probably good for me.

The fastest stable FSB I have achieved is 220Mhz. At 1:1 ratio my Corsair sticks are already running at 440Mhz! Still need more memory testing but it's been fine so far.

coughman said:
The fastest stable FSB I have achieved is 220Mhz. At 1:1 ratio my Corsair sticks are already running at 440Mhz! Still need more memory testing but it's been fine so far.

If your Ram is limiting your OC then drop to 5:4 and try for tighter timings. I'm sure your 2.8c can go higher.

Back