• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Enough power for 5 fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

X0d1@k

I currently run 5 fans, 2 out the back, 2 intake in front, and 1 from the door about video card level. My question is is a 450wPS enough to run them all, AND does it effect the performance of the fans if i have them daisy chained together?, 2 or 3 attached together and then attached to the ps?I hope i made myself clear, and they are all 80mm fans btw. Thanks in advance

what is the brand of the PSU? and what else is in your system. if its any regular brand (antec, enermax, fortorn/sparkle, etc) not no brand, it should run more than enough. fans dont drain much power.

It really depends on the name of the PSU. A generic PSU will be rated much much higher than it should be, whereas a name brand will not.

absolutely no problem whatsoever.

five Mega Stout fans will draw like 60 Watts, and those would be screamers!

I don't think your wiring will be an issue as long as it's physically secure.
"Daisy chained"? I think that's improper usage. Such indicates series wiring: positive lead to a fan, that fan's negative to the positive of the next fan, and so until connected to ground. You likely have them wired parallel: with each fan connected to the 12V on their positive connector and ground on their, well, ground.

A 450W PS is actually pretty huge.

Last edited:
For the record, most normal 80mm case fans use around 2-3 watts at most...

With a 450watt PSU, you are worried?

Lol :) You're fine with that :D

Yeah, I'd say most "normal" fans are only gonna draw like 0.2A unless they're real screamers so five of them only draw an amp altogether and usually the 12V line isn't really heavily loaded. Where you tend to run out of ooomph is on the 5V and 3.3V. Of course, if you forgot to mention your 8 drive RAID array there might be issues, but usually you don't have to worry about what fans you're adding for power concerns until you get to to your second 150mm comair patriot.

Back