• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Airflow question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

reagansquad

I'm building a new PC; AMD Athlon 2800... I have a question about airflow. I have 2 80mm fans available to me, and I was wondering if it'd be best to put them both in back facing out, both in front facing in, or one in front facing in and one in front facing out. Thanks for the help!

I would think you should put one in the front drawing in cool air, and one in back taking out hot air. In your case i think (i may be wrong), you should put both out the back for best results, and add another in the front if you can mod it easily. I hope that helps.

Hey thanks... I can easily mod it, so I think I will just buy an additional fan asap.

You would want to put one in the front, at the bottom of the case to suck in cool air, and one at the back top of the case to suck out hot air. Think about getting a couple more fans to be safe, so two at the front and two at the back, especially if you going to be overclocking.

Welcome to the forums!!!

Positive airflow is the best (more air coming in than going out). Remember you have your ps that's an exhaust fan.

You should put one in the front, preferrably in front of your hard drives so they won't fail prematurely. If you can mod your side panel and put an intake fan there over the cpu and graphics card, that would help a lot. Then you can put one fan in the back as an exhaust fan. This will give you 2 intake and 2 exhaust (including your psu)

-Bobby

a

Hey, thanks for the warm welcome! The case I'm buying comes with a side fan directly over the proc. I am going to try that mod where you run the tube of ducting directly from an outside fan to the proc... It's supposed to get you about 15 degrees C if I've heard correctly. It also has a blowhole fan on the top of the case. I was thinking it may be a good idea to reverse the blowhole so that the air from it flows in, and use that for the ducting to the proccessor, then have the side hole left to blow air onto the video card. This would give me an 80mm intake in the front by my hard drives, 2 60mm intakes with one ducted to blow directly on the processor, 1 80mm exhaust, and the dual fan power supply. Eventuall I want to either move the 80mm fan to the front and add a 120mm exhaust, or buy 2 additional 80 mm fans. I haven't decided. Oh hey, do you suppose I'll need a fan controller for all of this?

Try w/o the ducting first. You might get better temps on your cpu but the rest of your board/computer insides will get hotter.

-Bobby

I already paid for the ducting so I'd be remiss if I didn't double check... Reversing the "blowhole" to supply air to the ducting and leaving the side cut alone wouldn't be as good as leaving the blowhole facing out?

Back