• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink Recommendation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

traed

I am a newbie at overclocking and I just finished purchasing my final piece to my new system ( the motherboard ) As soon as it gets here via Fed Ex (from newegg) I am going to put it together but I am wondering what a good heatsink to use would be with this system:

asus p4c800-e
muskkin pc3700 512mb x 2
p4 2.8 800mhz fsb
maxtor 120gb sata
ati all-in-wonder radeon 9800 pro

I figured I would ask you guys before buying some heatsink from coolerguys without knowing how load it is and how much reduction in temp I will get vs the stock heatsink out of the box?

Also, I have been overclocking my old system (gigabyte 7vaxp-ultra KT400 w/ Barton 2800+) and I am getting approx 2300mhz and am passing all my stability tests but my temp is averaging around 50 degrees celsius with it this high - what is a good goal for tempeture and what heatsink should I get for a socket A?:eek:

I would go with an slk-900 for a socket a. From what I've seen and read, they are really great heat sinks, plus you can tack an ultra quiet fan on there and have a near silent system.

he has a p4 system so he would need to get a Slk-900U heatsink...
if you're one of those ppl that are noise conscience.. then go with a Zalman 7000CU heatsink

asus p4c800-e
p4 2.8 800mhz fsb

I would go with an slk-900 for a socket a.

:rolleyes: :D

That's as helpful as it gets.

I have to agree with the suggestion on the Zalman, but I'm going to try out the 7000-AlCu instead. You can read a little about the performance of both here.

I run the 7000AlCu due to weight worries with the Cu version. Great cooler, don't regret that purchase.

Back