• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where can I get a GIANT Heatsink, like a 1 1/2 feet by 1 1/2 feet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kunaak

I see them in Japanese Overclocks sometimes on old P3's.
maybe they are used in cars or car stereo parts?
just don't know where to find these...

I want one for a very different idea.
experiment really.
thats all I can say for now

but anyone know where I can get a massive heatsink?
like 1 and a half feet square?

doesn't matter about it being made of aluminum or anything, or how deep the fins go, just that it's BIIIIIG.

go to an place that services guitar amps the hsk on some of them way like 90 pounds so im shure they will have 1.5 square feet

all I can say is that it would suck if a heat sink of that size cracked your chip. :\

waterchiller no...

on a CPU, no.

for overclocking yes...
but you'll never guess how.

I just got this crazy idea this afternoon.
Kinda wanna keep this one to myself for the moment, incase it's a complete bust, so I don't look like the complete bonehead ;)

Here's my idea on what he's doing; I've thought that something like this would be pretty cool (in both ways ;) ). Each major heat-producing chip would have a solid copper heatpipe attached to it, extending to attach to the left panel, which would primarily be made of this giant heatsink. In essence, it moves most of the heat produced by those components to the outside of the case, where cooler air can be forever circulated through the giant, effective heatsink.

Am I close? :D

I have seen some like that on eBay every now and then just search heat sink and look at the ones outside of computer equipment

Restorer, nope...
but thats an interesting idea, why not try it?

my idea, has a 90% chance it's gonna fail, so I have a 40 dollar CPU motherboard and ram here to test it.
kill that, and big deal, but if it lives....
oooh, I can't even say...

wait he has a good idea every one wants a silent pc right with decent cooling ok now air on the outside really isnt gonna circulate that much but take a bunch of those little 3v fans of video card u know the ones that blow a whole 5 cfm and put that on the other side where the heatpipe attached to that little air movment and that huge hesk should be able to give u a decent temp. your not gonna be doing much overclicking with it but it will be totally silent except for your hdd

I'd love to try my idea sometime, once I have the time and money. It would be interesting to have a warm purring porcupine for a computer. :cool:

anyone know where you can get car amplifier Heatsinks?

I seen tons on ebay, all attached to AMPs that would do the job, just I don't need the amp...

silence isn't what I am going for here.
I can barely hear my PC as it is.

Go down the wreckers and see if they've got any blown amps. Also peltier chilled ice boxes have big sinks in them, mine has one about a foot square. Put out the ask for dead ice boxes.

C'mon, spill! :D

Road Warrior

kunaak, please tell us what your idea is. Nobody will think you're a bonehead if it fails. That's what science is about, testing hypothesis. If every scientists kept their experiments secret when they didn't prove their hypothesis correct, science would not progress at all. Please share.

Now Im going to try and figure out what kunaak is doing by bashing a giant heatsink against my motherboard in order to cool it down, since I'm forced to assume that is his plan. If I fail, I wont be able to afford food. Oh if only Kunaak had told us what he is doing.

I can probably find a heatsink that big in the spare parts here at work... Questions: how much are you looking to spend... what material do you prefer... how thick do you want it?

/me guesses

You want to stick it on the back of the motherboard with thermal tape?

vonkaar

all I need is a plain heatsink about a and a half square, material doesn't matter at all, aluminums the cheapest, that would work just fine in this case.

how deep for the fins?
inch or two is fine.
the deeper the fin the better, but I am not looking for anything super specialized.

if you can find a cross cut heatsink that would be nice, but a plain fin heatsink would work just fine too ;)

Arkaine23 said:
/me guesses

You want to stick it on the back of the motherboard with thermal tape?
That's one of my guesses too. My other one is he's going for some kind of heatsink as the actual case itself.

Back