• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob asking for help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mj23jay_lin

Registered
I'm running XP2100+ with 2 256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR on Soyo Dragon Lite KT-333.

I've overclocked from 1.7Ghz to 1.8Ghz, anything higher than that my PC just refuse to boot. I can't set my multiplier any lower than 13x, there aren't anything options for <13x, and my PC won't run higher than that either.

Thought it's running faster (therotically) but I'm suffering from CPU temp, it's running at around 55°C now, 10°C higher than it used to.

So here's my questions:
1) Am I doing anything wrong? 'Cuz I've no idea if I'm overclocking correctly or not, it just doesn't seem that I could only overclock so little.
2)How far can I push my RAM, and how do I do it?

To get the lower multipliers you need to either cut or connect a bridge or two...

Do a search,, I'm a little busy atm but if I have time ill try to find a link to a page.

You ram probaly won't be able to get really high so I doubt you will want lowr multies.
You OC your memory by brining up your FSB in your BIOS, how did you OC so far? just by raising the multi?
What kind of cooling do you have? if its stock I reccomend you wait until you can get some better cooling (Thermalright SLK-800/900 for instance).

EDIT: wow, how did I miss that part, Edward2 is right about the multies, I was tired

Last edited:
The problem you are having with the multipliers is that your mobo does not "fully support" the higher multipliers (13x and higher). This means that you are not going to be able to change your CPU multiplier via the BIOS. Like CrashOveride said, you would have to cut/connect bridges or use mobo socket jumpers to change the CPU multiplier.

As for increasing the FSB speed, you are going to need better (faster) memory. Your PC2100 memory is only rated for a 133 MHz FSB, so you are not going to be able to increase the FSB much higher than that. You need at least PC2700 memory which is rated for 166 MHz, and can typically be overclocked to 175-185 MHz.

As for the CPU temps, it sounds like you need some better cooling. You can get the Thermalright SK-7 and ThermalTake Smart Fan II from www.SVC.com for about $30 shipped. I would also recommend that you get some Arctic Silver AS-3 thermal grease.

What is the chip that you're running?
Try the GCPUID in my sig. if its a palomino, then you now know why you can't go any higher than 1.8, as most of them would top out at about that speed

Good PC2100 can sometimes go as high as 185 FSB. But more likely it will top out between 145 and 170, and having 2 sticks is harder to OC than just one.

I'm betting your CPU is a palomino, oither wise you'd be able to get more speed out of it. The palomino core tops out at about 1.8Ghz. You can unlock the CPU multiplyers though, and that would let you get more FSB on a lower multiplyer.

Thanks for eveyone's help, and I did the ID thing, sadly it is a Pal :(

well, i guess i really did top off at 1.8. My Dragon supports HIGHER multiplier, but not lower than 13x. I thought about unlocking it, but then if it could only do 1.8Ghz, why bother?

my cooling should be fine i think, got 4 fans on case, shim and arctic silver on CPU w/ Valcano 7, that should be enough for a small time OCer like me rite??

hey for your question about ur ram, go to the dram settings in ur bios and change all the latency and numbers that look somewat like latency, change em all to the lowest possible setting, i also have two sticks of 256 crucial pc2100 :) and they are very good for lowering latencies and what not..plus its incredibly stable, just look for a ram setting explanation on google or go thru ur mobo manual, they should tell u what each setting means, btw a very important setting is the CAS latency, lower it to 2

PS, i have done all of these thing in my bios and nothing is unstable at all
________
Ipad Accessories

Last edited:
dalilman52 said:
hey for your question about ur ram, go to the dram settings in ur bios and change all the latency and numbers that look somewat like latency, change em all to the lowest possible setting, i also have two sticks of 256 crucial pc2100 :) and they are very good for lowering latencies and what not..plus its incredibly stable, just look for a ram setting explanation on google or go thru ur mobo manual, they should tell u what each setting means, btw a very important setting is the CAS latency, lower it to 2

PS, i have done all of these thing in my bios and nothing is unstable at all
]

Thx for the tip on RAM

I ran PIME95 recently, and it stopped after 3 hours, SHOULD I WORRY????

You should be able to pass prime95 for at least 12 hours, for 99% stability, for 100% stability you should pass 24hours of prime
I had errors happen after 8 hours so the 12hours IS MINIMUM

Back