• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe Temps for Mobo and Cpu OC'd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

X0d1@k

Whats a safe temperature for the cpu, mobo ? I mean like i want to surf the net, play low end games and put out the best 2001 3d benchmarks and be stable? Whats a dangerous level for a stock hinksink and fan combo on my 1800xp juihb dlt3c on my asus a7n8x dlx mobo?Any suggestions?

Usually you can't OC much with stock heatsink.

Some say low 50s celcius under heavy stress is acceptable, some say that "Motherboard temps are usually grossly misreported, and thus are meaningless. Use Prime95 to check for stability." like in the second post here:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=217347&highlight=meaningless

You know you can OC that specific chip with no probs whatsoever to 3x00+ speeds with a $10 to $15 Thermalright heatsink like SK6+ or the SK-7. It's a small investment considering you're getting the mother of all overclocks, inexpesnive low end T-Bred B turned into speeds that retail in the hundreds of $.

I look at the max CPU temperature this way, to see how it changes/gains with overclocking MHz (and voltage), rather than a priori, pre-determined temperature number.

Some numbers to determine max CPU overclocking frequency - Vcore vs temperature

hitechjb1 said:
At close to max overclocking, temperature and heat will reduce or "eat" into the CPU speed. The reason is electron mobility is reduced at higher temperature. Below the break-even point, heat will "eat" into less than 50% of intrinsic the CPU frequency increase (by Vcore increase). Above the break-even point, heat will "eat" into more than 50% of the intrinsice CPU frequency increase.

E.g. only for illustration (exact number may vary)

Some where below 2400 MHz, 25 mV would increase CPU frequency by 20 MHz, this is after the heat has "eaten" 5 MHz. Intrinsic frequency increase would be 25 MHz.

At 2400 MHz, 25 mV would increase CPU frequency by 12.5 MHz, this is after the heat has "eaten" 12.5 MHz, otherwise one would get 25 MHz increase had heat was completely removed. So 2400 MHz is the break-even point, or point of diminishing return on frequency.

Some where above 2400 MHz, 25 mV would increase CPU frequency by 5 MHz, this is after the heat has "eaten" 20 MHz, otherwise one would get 25 MHz increase had heat was completely removed.

The above scenario shows how overclocking will eventually come to a halt, from 20 MHz increase to 12.5 MHz increase to only 5 MHz increase for each step of 25 mV increase in Vcore.

At the start, find out the stable CPU clock freqency (f1) at full load at rated Vcore.
Increase Vcore by 25 mV, find out the stable CPU clock frequency (f2) at full load.

Based on these two numbers, 4 (f2 - f1) will approximate the ideal CPU frequency increase per 100 mV Vcore increase, since temperature increase is minimal.
This number should be around 120-140 MHz / 100 mV for Tbred B and Barton.

By combining clock frequency and temperature, the rule of thumb is:
- 10 MHz / C, at full load per 25 mV Vcore increase is about the break-even point for overclocking (point of diminishing return). 12 MHz / C for extreme cooling.
- Below 10 MHz / C is "easy" and economical for overclocking. 12 MHz / C for extreme cooling.
- Above 10 MHz / C becomes harder and harder to overclock. 12 MHz / C for extreme cooling.
- And 2-3 MHz / C at full load is the limit.

Gotta love hitechjb1's involved posts backed up with data.

How about this:
It has been said that all T-Bred A's average 2.0 GHz while all T-Bred B's average 2.3 GHz.

Of course the numbers vary from system to system but if we were to talk in general average terms, what then would be the highest acceptable temperature where the term acceptable is defined in hitechjb1's previous post.

Damn!! hitechjb1 u da man! I have to say, i came to these forums a total skeptic, a friend of mine mentioned this entire site to me when i told him i was thinking of putting a system together, from scratch.; something ive never done. He advised me to read what was stable, so i could build a stable system, even if i didnt want to oc. HEHE now , 8 months later, built me up a system ,hehe , pretty stable, pretty cool and OCING my 1800xp to about 2167 on stock cooling (lapped). Anyway not sure if i had a point, but these threads, by people who are willing to spend a second to help out the new guys, are so, for lack of a better word, are so FREAKIN GR8T!!!! THanks all!! Now , to post my Prime 95 stable results (24hour of course).......:)

Back