• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my vid card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

countermods

Disabled
ok people i knwo your all gonna say buy a new vid card but i dont have any cash flow right now so i wanna get what i can out of my geforce fx 5200 right now im running it @ 300/500 stock is 250/400 it still has the stock cooling from pny now do u think i could get a bit more o/c if i were to put this on there with some as3 and some epoxy and yes im gonna use those little sinks for my ram

you might, but why not get like an vantec VGA cooler? that is intended for northbridge cooling.

what stan said....

but i'll say this.. even if you dont get much more o/cing from what you slap on.. you can always take it off and put it on your next card....

and anyways as long as your card is running al lteh games you['re playing now fine... you might as well just wait until you really need an upgrade (like being forced to play in 800x600 with everything set on low) befrore you get a new card....

Attaching Athlon heatsinks (aluminum of course) as well as some P3 heatsinks might be a better and cheaper option for you if you have the room to fit the cooler (usually about 3 PCI slots taken).

if you're short on cash then don't buy a $35 heatsink kit...

grab some old cpu heatsink (i've used old alphas, etc) and just zip tie it to the vga card... works great and it's nearly free :D

well i see wat uguys mean buy dont spend $35 on this so do u think a one of those hsk from a server word work pretty good i have 4 of them and could cut them up there all copper fined

funko said:
what stan said....

but i'll say this.. even if you dont get much more o/cing from what you slap on.. you can always take it off and put it on your next card....

and anyways as long as your card is running al lteh games you['re playing now fine... you might as well just wait until you really need an upgrade (like being forced to play in 800x600 with everything set on low) befrore you get a new card....

I totally agree with this guy as long as your happy with the games you play stick with what you've got. I have a MX440 which only let me play my favorite game battlefield 1942 in 800x600 med. detail. So I added a fan, took an old celeron heat sink chopped it in half and glued it on.

Cheap mod and I overclocked like crazy and now play 1024x768 high detail! with this card.

I figure I'll use it and if it melts down one day or something then I'll upgrade, but I'm gonna drive it into the ground or until another game comes out that I like and it can't handle.

fb201b13.jpg

Considering you said you had no cashflow and that kit is $30 and not exactly made for a video card you would prolly be better off with a vantec iceberg or cyrstal orb and then the thermaltake memory cooling kit or making your own ramsinks out of a old cpu heatsink. From directron.com you can get the crystal or for $9 and the thermal take memory cooling kit for $10 the thermal take meory cooling kit also comes with a heatspreader for 1 mem stick.

Back