• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temperature readings...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blueacid

Okay guys, I ALSO have a Barton 2500+, sitting on an Abit NF7-S motherboard, and so far, I have two temperature sensors...

The first is the onboard one, and the second is a small sensor from my HardCano thermal monitor and fanbus...

Now, I was wondering, does the NF7 have a thermistor built into the socket that it reads the temperature off, or does the chip have a thermal diode in-built (And if so, is this where the motherboard gets the temperature information from?)

For the record, MBM5 is reading the CPU temp at about 40c, and the HardCano is reading around 45c (this is with the temperature sensor underneath the CPU, stuck to the bottom of the die)

If the Barton does have an onboard thermal diode, is there a method of reading it with software (MBM5? Another program?)

Also, unrelated to this, what kind of thermal protection does the Barton have? I.e. does it clock-throttle should it overheat, or will it just proceed to melt like the old Thunderbird systems would with a failed heatsink fan, or with a completely removed heatsink (Toms Hardware)

Thanks for any help!

Blueacid

The Barton has the same protection that the AthlonXP (Palomino/Tbred) has. It has the inbuilt thermal diode, it doesn't throttle when the temps go up but some mobos can throttle it down (I think I saw this on one EPoX NF2 board, not sure on the exact model). If the CPU overheats, the worst that can happen is the PC will shut off as the NF-7 has overheating protection.

I'm not completely sure on weather the board monitors the die or the CPU bottom case temp, but I would only assume that it should monitor the die temp.

I'm not familiar with much monitoring software but you could try and use the one that should come on the mobo CD, and compare the temp with MBM5.

There is a way to monitor the die temp to the accuracy of +-1C° but you have to make a small circuit with a MAXIM 6657 chip and solder 2 leds to the mobo, then you can use MBM5 to monitor the temps

So an on-die temp of 40c is fairly schweet then!!

w00r! (just for good measure lol)

My motherboard supports clock-throttling (I have the option enabled up to 12.5%) but I don't know how fast the clock throttler can react to an overheat situation... (Plus I don't want to find out LOL)

Blueacid

I don't think that the clock throttling would be as effective as the one built into the Intel chip, as the intel chip doesn't really reduce its clock speed, while the mobo on the AMD will only reduce the CPU speed, which won't prevent thermal death. But as the mobo has a heat protection to shut the PC down, the throttling is just useless

Back