• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best mobo for intel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itim100

What is the best chipset/brand mobo to get for a new P4? Like, what is the fastest?

So there is no undisputedly "best" mobo for p4s? Isn't there a poll on this somewhere? ill look...

Like X says, best chipset is i875. Like Un says, best mobo is either Asus P4C800-E dlx or Abit IC7 Max 3 (or regular IC7 if you're on a budget). Both have pros and cons, but you can't go wrong with either. My third choice would be the Gigabyte (forget the model number).

Albatron? I think thats the first time ive heard someone reccomend Albatron in this context. I've always viewed those as lower end boards, but the only experience i've had with them WAS a cheapo AMD board, so i dunno.

It seems the Asus P4P800 Deluxe has been superseeded by the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe at a premium of course about £45-00 but it has all the features you could want & it`s fast according to reviews!

Acko

batboy said:
Like X says, best chipset is i875. Like Un says, best mobo is either Asus P4C800-E dlx or Abit IC7 Max 3 (or regular IC7 if you're on a budget). Both have pros and cons, but you can't go wrong with either. My third choice would be the Gigabyte (forget the model number).

I believe that the model number you are reffering to for the gigabyte is the 8KNXP - Ultra

The 8knxp ultra comes with a u320 scsi raid controller and is quite expensive. The non ultra 8knxp has a gigaraid IDE raid controller as well as the intel ICH5R and a SI 3112 controller. Great board, but will only allow 1.6v for Vcore. Those would be my 3 choices as well.

You have to understand, when you get a recommendation on a mobo from these forums you are going to get opinions on the best OVERCLOCKING board.

For other standards (price ratios, stability, features, warranty, etc.) there are better boards. It depends on what you want out of your purchase.

EDIT:

I took a look at that Gigabyte board. Sweet! There's a review at Tom's. The board runs $353 at newegg.com.

http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20030707/i875p-33.html

Last edited:
The Gigabyte 8KNXP is a great board. Stable as a rock and tons of features. I have the non-ultra version and will be building a box around it as funds permit.

I would go for the P4C800, not just for overclocking, but because I think that you just can't go wrong with it..Same thing goes for its maker Asus..

And I wouldn't mind having an integrated U320 controller in my mobo ;-)

I suggest any mobo that will fit your needs, but overall,
875-865PE are the two chipsets that will do some damage in benchmarks and offer great overclocking options.

These Epox boards are looking good to me. The 4PCA3+ (Canterwood) and the 4PDA3+ (Springdale) host some impressive features and look like they will be monster clockers (I'm speaking of the revision 2.0's here). The revision 2.0 allow 1.85 vcore and 3.3 vdimm. Newegg now sells the 4PCA3+ but I don't know if it's a 2.0. This site www.censuspc.com does guarantee 2.0's though. Worth a look.

How does the Gigabyte 8KNXP (regular) overclocks? I'm thinking about getting one because it has all the features I want/need.

Looks like it is using all of Intel's built-in features such as CSA (giganet solution) , thier SATA RAID solution, etc. PLUS they add their own, such as Sillicon Image's SATA RAID and GigaRAID, making a total of 12 ATA drives!

The only thing I am concerned about is OCing. It looks like they set it up for OCing (the 6-phase power reg), but they do not provide enough voltage to OC? Is that right?

Back