• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Round cables and system blowers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beefpops

Are round cables worth it? They look like they'd increase airflow, but I just want to be sure on this one.

Also, are those slot fan "system blowers" any good? I felt the air coming out of one situated right under an AGP card and it was coming out like a gale.

Rounded cables do increase airflow by decreasing the impediment that flat cables have. You could make your own if you don't want to buy them, but they are pretty cheap now. I have heard others say that slot fans work fairly well but don't have any direct experience.

Round cables do increase airflow, but weather they are worth it or not depends largely on the price. If you can get hold of them cheaply enough then go for it they not only increase airflow but they look better too, especially if you have a window and Cathode, and you get the UV reactive ones. Personally I still use the ribbon cables I see no need in upgrading to round cables yet, my standard ribbon cables dont restrict much airflow because they are taped to the side neatly out of the way. Also standard ribbon cables can in some cases be more airodynamic than rounded cables because they are much thinner, to accomplish it though you need to fold them out of the way of the direction of airflow witch can be a little tricky. The only time i would use round cables is when my ribbon cables break and need replacing or if I was using a window.

As for those syetm blowers, it might feel like it when you put your hand behind it but they dont shift much air at all, there alright if you put them under a graphics card to hirt a bit of the hot air away from the card but they dont do that much. Having said that i used to have one in the slot above my graphics card witch meant it could pull a bit of the heat away from the heatsink, and it did actually make a fair bit of a difference, athough not many motherboard position the AGP slot to allow for a free space above it.

round cable can go for about 2 bucks depending on where u get them and if they are dual or single i think it was pricewatch that had them for 1 buck each but u had to buy 10 of them..
Eddie

When I was buying a bunch of network cables from www.cables.cc I also got some of their rounded cables. The cables are pleasently flexible compared to my other rounded cables and I read a review where they actually performed barely better than all of the others tested on transfer rates (go figure; whatever that indicates).

I personally cut off the "protective" boots on all my rounded cables, as well as the label/grabber thing in the interest of removing clutter. I also tape and zip-tie the ends of the round-wrap stuff. I'll post some pictures in the general cooling section later on.

Back