• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need opinions on what kind of Fan/HS i should get

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

El-Scotto

nf7-s rev 2 mobo
amd 2100+
and for the case im getting Aspire X-Dreamer

I was thinking slk-900u as the hs
what are some good silent fans? how many should i get and from where? :)

Well theres a few options you could take you could go with a quiet fixed speed fan like the vantec stealth fans there pretty quiet. Having said that silence usually comes at the price of performance, as you sift less air the colling potential gets less, its a case of finding a happy meium between CFM and noise. Witch is where variable fans like the ThermalTake SmartFan2 come in, you can adjust the speed to your likeing, meanign you can have it as quiet as you want for winter then when summer comes and you need that extra shifting of air you can turn it up to accomodate for that.

The otherway would be to get a standard fixed RPM fan to your choice and using a rheobus, so you can turn the speed down a little to your likeing, if you decide to go this route I can recommend the Sunbeam rheobus, i own one myself it has 20w per channel so you can put just about any fan you like on it with ease, infact you could put multiple fans on each channel and as it has 4 channels that accomadates for plenty of fans.

El-Scotto said:
Ive heard smart fan II were good? they silent?

Plenty of people on these boards use them infact quite a lot of people do, there lowest setting is apparetly 1300RPM witch would be silent or pretty close to it, although its cooling potential at that speed would be great but probably sufficient for stock vcore when coupled with a decent heatsink like the SLK-900U like you mentioned. I found you a little review of the fan for you to have a read of, it should iterest you. Smart Fan 2 Review

thanks for the help so far :)
another question I only need the one heat sink for the cpu right? along with a fan for it also? Ive heard of cooling things for memory, is this necessary? also whats a good avg. number of fans for a case?

also If I will oc this i'll only try to around 2 ghz, form what i have read that is nothing.

El-Scotto said:
thanks for the help so far :)
another question I only need the one heat sink for the cpu right? along with a fan for it also? Ive heard of cooling things for memory, is this necessary? also whats a good avg. number of fans for a case?

also If I will oc this i'll only try to around 2 ghz, form what i have read that is nothing.

Yep you just need a heatsink and fan for the CPU, cooling for the memory is not necessary, heatspreaders and such dont do that much good anyway the best way to keep it cool is with good airflow in the case, witch can be achieved with the correct positioning and directing of the fans. Generally speaking though memory doesnt need any extra cooling unless a high voltage is being used on it, stock voltages on the memory dont require extra cooling generally. One you start to hit about 2.7v thats when you have to think about cooling it down a bit. The 2100+ should hit some decent speeds although you may want to try track down a 1700+ TbredB JIUHB stepping preferably the lower voltage rated ones, it should save you some money. You may want to ask in the memory forum, as to what some decent memory is now a days, if i were you I would be looking to get some decent PC3200 that should do you to atleast 200Mhz bus on default voltage.

Also as to answer your question on the average number of fans, most people fill all the fan brackets in the case generally thi sis 2 intake and 2 exhaust but depending on the case some have more. This is usually plenty enough for good airflow but its certainly not uncommon for people to cut blow holes in the top and sides of the case to house big fans such as 92mm and 120mm for extra airflow without the extra noise.

ok, so i guess i know everything i need to now.... :) i dont have to mod anything for the slk900u to fit on do i?

92mm fans have a larger "dead zone" than do 80mm fans making them less suitable for heatsinks. Fewer of the cooling fins on the heatsink will get direct air flow with the 92mm unless you do a mod to raise the fan above the heatsink and duct the air onto the heatsink.

Back