• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 1700+ Jiuhb question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zreon

I've been doing a lot of research on this cpu lately and am planning on buying one from excaliburpc.com. I am just wondering something about it though. I've read that a lot of people are running it at 2.4-2.5ghz. So I went and looked at the fastest AMD cpu out right now which is a Barton 3200+ (2.2ghz). So I figured that the 1700+ would be running at about a 3500+ cpu (correct me if this is right or wrong). So then I looked at the Intel 2.4c which people normally get to 3.4-3.5ghz. I'm not sure if the AMD xxxx+'s apply to the new Intel cpus with Hyperthreading and a 800fsb, but if they do then wouldn't the 1700+ be running at around the same speed as a oc'ed 2.4c at 3.5ghz? I also realize that the Intel has a much higher fsb then the AMD so that might make a big impact on performance, but how much?

If anyone can confirm/prove this wrong, that would be appreciated.

Also, I'm planning on getting a Abit NF7 V2.0 with a JIUHB DL3TC 0310 and a Thermalright SLK800 (50cfm sunon fan) or I was also thinking the Thermaltake Silent Boost. Should I be able to reach 2.4-2.5ghz with that setup? Which cooling method would be best for this?

there is no way to be sure if your CPU will be able to OC to those speeds, but there is an excellent probablity that you will be able to. I have seen many people report speeds of 2.3 - 2.4 on air cooling, and even 2.5 and up, but who's to say that they were stable. I am running 2.4 on a DU3TC chip (just take more voltage than the DL3TC) but I am water cooling.

But you are putting together all the parts to make one screaming machine. Just add some quality ram, I recommend PC3500 HyperX, and put some sort of copper cooling solution on the Chipset to help ya get that 200+ FSB. one other thing, you might want to go with a better fan for the slk, like a smart fan II or a tornado pair either with a rheostat controller.

Just my 2 cents

You should be able to reach at least 2.3ghz, which is all anyone could ever need. It equates roughly to a 2.4c oc'ed to 3.2ghz, regardless of how it works out with AMD's PR formulas. A factor that works for raw integer calculation is 1.28, so this can roughly work, however some other optimization can bump it a little, others go to the Pentiums. However, I'd strongly suggest holding off on buying anything for another month, when the Athlon64's, and even better, Athlon FX's come out. These will completely shatter everything before them, P4C's included.

Last edited:
If I had the money for one of the new Athlons I would wait, but I don't have a whole lot of money to spend and 2.3 ghz would do me for a while (at least until I get a job). Also, thanks for the information Gautam on the speeds compared to the 2.4c.

The following link give details about how to compare CPU MHz, CPU integer and floating point computation power and FSB memory bandwdith between AMD XP and Intel P4 CPU's.

How to interpret Sandra CPU benchmark, IPC and comparing with P4

In summary,

Ratio between XP to P4:

Dhyrstone integer IPC = 1.28:1
Whetstone floating point IPC = 1.74:1 (w/o SSE2), 0.82:1 (w/ SSE2)
Hence, a Tbred B running at 2.5 GHz is as fast as a P4 3.2 GHz (= 2.5 x 1.28) running in for integer computation in terms of raw CPU power.

For memory bandwidth,

Dual channel makes a big difference for P4 dual channel mb though, due to quad pump data of P4 (or QDR). The max bandwidth for P4 dual channel is 4 x 8 x FSB = 32 FSB MB/s. The effective bandwidth, taking into memory controller overhead (~ 75% efficiency), would be around 24 FSB MB/s.

For AMD dual channel, max bandwidth = 16 FSB, effective bandwidth ~ 15.2 FSB (95% efficiency). Hence the improvement of effective bandwidth = (24 - 15.2)/15.2 = 58% for P4 dual channel system over AMD dual channel.

Last edited:
Don't plan of hitting 2.5Ghz range as soon as you plug everything in. I had mine running 2.5 all on air w/ Corsair XMS rams. I had to do days of burning in process and now, I can't even keep it at 2.3 Ghz stable. I've lowered to 2.2 Ghz and it's rock stable so far. My comp used to sound like a leaf blower. I've gotten some fan controllers and my 6 fans are at minimal speed. Nice and quiet and still able to run 2.2 Ghz stable.

I've seen two threads today regarding consistent hits to 2.4ghz+ on 1800+'s. Even the voltages required to hit this speed seems to have normalized. 1.85v for 2.4ghz. 1.7v for 2.3ghz. if you have extreme cooling...1.9+ for 2.5ghz.

deftor said:
I've seen two threads today regarding consistent hits to 2.4ghz+ on 1800+'s. Even the voltages required to hit this speed seems to have normalized. 1.85v for 2.4ghz. 1.7v for 2.3ghz. if you have extreme cooling...1.9+ for 2.5ghz.

Yeah, that seems to be the trend. 2300 was possible at 1.65-1.675 with my current cooling.

2400 needs 1.85v. AT 2500, it gets half way through boot at 1.9v. So I think I could have it stable at 1.95. Though, that's too much voltage for my taste. Anyway, I hope to get it to 2500 with the current voltage of 1.85 when winter comes around. I'll be piping in some cold air from outside. :)

Back