• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need a cheap celeron board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krowa 02

I need to build a cheapo celeron system for my mom, no more amd crap, pia to setup, so im just gonna build her a p4 based celeron, prob a 1.7 or if I can afford ill buy her a 2.0 northwood version. I need suggestion on a cheap board, prefer it to have ddr since I am going to use the old pc2100 I put in her pc. Thanks for the help :D

Do u have an add on AGP card? Or planning to get one?

If you don't need powerful video, buying a mobo with integrated video might save u a few $.

i.e. MSI 845GVM-L for $67.00

CPU: SOCKET478 FORIntel P4/CELERON 1.4~3.06GHZ;
FSB 400/533MHZ
CHIPSET:Intel 845GV/ICH4 CHIPSET
No AGP Slot, Integrated video.
Supports HT also

The integrated video is more than enough for Windows, 2D stuff and DVD playback.

Cheapest "brand" 845PE board I found on pricewatch was the EPOX EP-4PEAD. Around $65.00 shipped. Abit 845PE boards start from $71.00+.

Also it might be a better idea to purchase retail versions instead on OEM/bulk, since warranty is better for retail. Might cost you $5 or more extra though.

Intel chipset based boards from major mobo makers are mostly very reliable and stable. Setup is also a breeze, due the excellent chipset/driver support from Intel.

Best of luck.

Back