• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memtest 86 freeze

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

metalliphreak1

Registered
i ran memtest 86 a few weeks ago and i got errors on my ram. so, i RMA d the ram, and replaced it, and now memtest freezes. I tried my friend's ram in it and it freezes also. Is this a motherboard problem? What sorts of things should i make sure of before doing the test (anything in bios i may forget)? Obviously, RMAing a motherboard would be one hell of a pain in the ***. Thanks:(

Increase the timings, slow the clock. Ram cannot take it or it might be incompatible. Happened to me too but once the clock was lowered everything gets back to normal.

You need to include many more details about your system - i.e. make and model of motherboard and ram, cpu, speeds you're operating at, etc.

i have a P4P800 dlx mobo, 2x 512 Corsair 3200 ram, p4 2.6c

i'm running at factory settings on my speeds, and my ram is set to automatically select settings by SPD

i tightened my ram speeds yesterday and my pc failed to post... everything is back to normal now, but still the freezing on memtest 86

thanks

I originally had Corsair PC3200 with my P4P800 dlx. I could barely get it to post at 200 fsb with the loosest latencies. I switched it out with some Mushkin, and now everything is great. I also had bad luck with Corsair PC3200 on my friend's P4P800 board. Try the 5:4 memory ratio and run memtest again. If it doesn't freeze, then you probably have some Corsair that can't run at stock speeds. You wouldn't be the first one.

temps are good, very good; ambient 30 C, cpu 20 C,; however, whatever the 12V is, mbm says its at 16.32 V, and "Core 1" (?) is at 3.23 V (in the red). what could be causing this, and is it bad?

Disable legacy usb in the bios. That fixed my problem with my p4c800-e, so it might also do the same for the p4p.

Yeah, the Legacy USB must be disabled on the P4P800 series boards in order to get memtest to work. After that, if you get any errors at relaxed timings, default Bios settings and no heat issues, you probably have bad memory.

Doh!!!!!!!!!! I should have done a search on this topic BEFORE I started a new thread on it. I am having the exact same problems with a P4P800 and MEMTEST86. I have dissabled Legacy USB now and am re-running the test on another machine. Hopefully this fixes the issue. I was begining to think all my ram was shot

goliathvt said:
Yeah, the Legacy USB must be disabled on the P4P800 series boards in order to get memtest to work. After that, if you get any errors at relaxed timings, default Bios settings and no heat issues, you probably have bad memory.

It's not restricted to the P4P 800's. It seems to be the 865/875 chipsets. There are numerous mobo's that do the same thing.

Ok Smart Guys. Now how do I get back into the bios now that I have dissabled it and I am using a wireless keyboar and mouse combo that is USB.

I am guessing LOL, that I am going to have to plug the PS2 port in and run from that.

Back