• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX5800 Ultra cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woodenman80

Right the story so far.

Ive been given a FX5800 Ultra which came with a 5/16th water cooling unit on it, I would of used this but the blocks and ram coolers were recked by either customs or the postal services! ALl there lugs have been ripped out and the block is unfixable.

My first fears were that the graphics card was recked but i jury rigged up a load of HSF (real dodgy and i dont trust em not to fall off to see if it booted and it did thank god!!!!

My question is this i have a swiftech GPU (which im getting the FX5800/5900 adapter for) block anyway but at present this does not cool the ram!

do you think i could cool this DDR 2 Ram with big bolt passive alu finned sinks or should i spend the hassle watercooling the ram to.?????

I dont know enough about the ram and its heat output charecteristics jumping from cool gf2 graphics card to this lumbering monster!

Any help or ideas would be great!

Or should i sell it on ebay and get a 9800pro LOL after the Nvidia wipping in Halflife 2.

slice and dice up pieces of one piece units of a heatsink with a demel... e.g. take a stock amd sink cut and carve it... join the pieces together with sheetmetal cut out to fit around ur gpu sink and the two mounting holes, then have a quiet 80mm fan blowing at it.. should be fine

if you're really selling it on ebay you might not get that much for it, but with the money get a 9800 non-pro, and then overclock that; flash bios for the pro version (95% of the cards'll do it)...

or if you're really bent for HL2, wait until the 9800XT or the 9900 which'll include HL2 for free....

hope this helps

Im not overly worried about HL2 Nvidia will revise there drivers, But im a man who like near silence LOL but for the mo i think i will water cool the GPU chip and fan cool the ram quick and easy. WHile i design and make a water cooled block etc for the ram!

Thanx though :) and if i get another card the 9800np looks nice for the money!

Back