• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need 2 new CPU's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
Alright, I'm debating a few options here. Ultimately, I'd like to spend less than $130.

One CPU is for my main (gaming) box. It currently has an old DUT3C 1800+ TB that struggles to be stable at 2.1Ghz on 1.85v.

I can get:

An excaliberpc.com DLT3C 1700+ or 1800+ for around $70. I guess I might have a good shot at 2.4Ghz with one of those?

An AIXHB 0327 DKV3C 2400+ at a local shop for about $95. Not sure on this stepping, but I'm hoping maybe it could do 2.5+Ghz. they know me pretty well so they may let me test it before I buy it....

A Barton 2500+ AQXEA 0330 from excaliberpc for $106. I guess these do about 2.3Ghz?

Or I can take a chance on a Barton 2500+ at newegg for $85. And get 2.2 to 2.3 probably...

Speed and low price are more imporatant to me than cache size.

For the second CPU, it has a crappy-OC board. So I want a palomino or one of the new durons. Looking for a price about $40.....

Where does one get an appalbred anyway?

Last edited:
In a third world country.

1. $83 free shipping Barton 2500+
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc...e_Code=M&Product_Code=120728&Category_Code=FS

2. Still the cheapest guaranteed T-Bred B: $49 free shipping 1700+
http://www.gameve.com/store/gameve_viewitem.asp?idproduct=267

3. Although Newegg 1700+ are more often than not A's, you know what, I would now gamble on the $51 1800+ at newegg. They're shipping 1800+ DLT3C B's people report all over the place.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...343&manufactory=1028&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

Yeah, I have noticed those 1800+ DLT3C's on newegg. I was thinking maybe get the guaruntee on excal for one and then gamble on newegg for the other.

Now that I think about it... I really need 4 CPU's, 2 Tbreds and 2 pally's, plus an inexpensive HSF.

I just sold off 2 spitfire durons and am making a deal to sell off 2 palominos and a Volcano 2 HSF. That'll give me a little more than $100 to spend on three CPU's. Also have a friend who needs to give me $20 for a soundcard I sold to him, and he's asking for a reformat/reinstall of windows so I'm calling his debt due.

Edit: Think I got it all worked out. Gonna trade my old crappy-OC 1800+ Tb to a friend for his palomino 1600+ and $20, and the $20 he still owes me. That'll give me about $145 to work with. Think I can get 4 CPU's and a HSF for about that price? Watch the master work....

I'll buy 2x 1800+ Tb's and a galaxy 70mm HSF from newegg for $116 including shipping, and I found someone who'll sell me another palomino for $32. I do the trade of my old Tbred for a palomino and some cash. That gives me 2 new Tbreds, 2 palominos, and a cheap copper HSF for a total of $148. That lets me upgrade 3 of my boxes as follows:

main rig- Tb 1800+ @ 2.1 ---> Tb 1800+ @ 2.3 approx
Dedicated fold box- Pally @ 1.7 ----> Tb 1800+ @ 2.3 approx
Dedicated fold box- Duron @ 933 ----> Pally @ 1.6 approx (not a good OC'ing board unless I hardcode the multi, not a very good HSF either)

My friend gets a cheap upgrade:

Pally @ 1.65 ----> Tbred @ 2.1

And I'll walk away with 1.5 more Ghz and will only spend $2 of my own money.

Since all 4 of these machines fold@home for me, I expect to see about an extra +700 PPW to my username.

A not only that, but through the deals I made selling my old CPU's, I've given someone else the means to get 2 more machines folding, for about another +700 PPW for the team.

Last edited:
Back