• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IC7 overclocking issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TWY

I have two overclocking issues with this board.

I have a 2.40C CPU which can do 3.4GHz no problem, and I've 4 sticks of Kingston HyperX PC4000 256MB.

1) I cannot run the damn thing stable at 1:1 CPU/DRAM ratio at anything more than 235MHz. My RAM is already set to 3-8-4-4, and my GAT is at fully Auto. 240MHz runs stable for half an hour, and it craps out (sometimes BSOD). 250MHz won't boot into Windows. I've tried all the way to 2.8V, but it just isn't stable at 240 or 250. However, at 235MHz, I am able to use 2.6V to pass Prime95.

2) Upon using the 5:4 ratio, the board refuses to allow me to use CAS Latency 3 setting for my memory. :rolleyes: Whenever I set it to CL 3, the board sets it back to 2.5, even when the BIOS option shows the number 3. Since my RAM can't do CL 2.5, Prime95 keeps failing within minutes.

Is there any workaround for this to get back a workable CL 3 setting?

Thanks.

Some people have had luck disabling the last two GAT features. Might want to try that. And the 5:4 divider on the IC7 seems to have some issues.

I've fiddled around with the GAT, and no go. Disabling the last two options had my score plunge by 500 in Sandra. :(

I previously ran all my 4 sticks in a P4P800, and I had no problems with 250FSB.

---

I'm very annoyed with the 5:4 and RAM timing issue, as HyperX PC4000 can only operate at CL3 from 200MHz and upwards. Hence, as the board sets CL2.5 by itself, my Prime95 keeps failing.

I could do 284/226, but Prime95 just wouldn't stabilize. I'm very sure it's the fault of the CAS Latency setting. Using 3:2 divider to get 284/189 is stable.

At 275/220, I've somehow managed to get my system get get Prime95 going. It's been more than an hour now. 2.5-8-4-4 for my RAM, but at 2.7V. That's pretty ****ty. Somehow I need that BIOS fix to get CL3 going so I have more room to increase the FSB.

IC7/IS7 are memory retarded motherboards, HyperX is known to be a problem memory for these. Get Asus and see how every memory flies with no problem there.

Back