• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket A for 533fsb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Molester

i was wondering if any mobo manufacturers for Socket A can reach 533(although i know athlons might not be able to do it) i know alot can do over 400, my a7n8x can do up to 450 as far as i know

my reason for asking is i plan to get a barton 3200, my reason, well, it starts off at 400fsb, and 2.2gig, and that's w/ a 1.650 vcore(imagine the potential)

so i was thinking, hey, my 2700 started w/ 333, and i "can do" 450, and some of you w/ 1700+'s do the same, and they start w/ what 200, 266?

anyway, i'm sure you all get my point, i'd love to get a 3200+barton and crank the $417 out of it, but i want a board that can handle it as well.

thanx

I think the limitation on FSB is only dependent on the board and memory, not the cpu. Since there is now DDR500 memory out there, I think the current crop of athlon motherboards are limiting you to around 230-240FSB (460-480 effective).

yeh it would be good if bords could go that high but if it was to have any advantage at all you would still need memory that goes that high which we dont have yet :( maybe when ddr-II comes out they will bring out a new type of chipset that can handle more but its unlikely as by then athlon 64 will be out and i would guess they would put more effort into the new bords than the out of date socket A

The p4's are quad pumped rather than double pumped like the Athlons. So both of the newest AMD and Intel chips run at 200fsb, it's just that AMD's is an "effective" 400fsb and Intel's is an "effective" 800fsb.

Each clock cycly, a double pumped bus transmits twice.
On a quad pumped bus, four transmissions are made per clock cycle.

Back