• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HSF upgrade from stock to SLK800A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

threeputt

I thought I didn't need to spend any money on HSF, but when I started to raise the Vcore, and seeing CPU temp going above 50°C...I thought......hmm it's time. Although I lapped the stock HSF, had AS3 and ghetto duck mod, I hit the ceiling at 2.33GHz. So I ordered SLK800A. It needed lapping, which I did. Hooked it up w/ a spare 80mm fan I had and ran it at stock speed just to make sure it'll run ok. WOW!!! I've never seen my CPU temp that low! 26°C! (well, actually I did, when I was testing my memory and FSB w/ my CPU running @ 830MHz). So I immediately raise the Vcore to the highest my BIOS will let me go (which is only + 10%) and boot at 2.38GHz. No problem. After a couple of more reboots, I'm at 2464MHz and started Prime95. But then my son jumped on my lap and wanted to go to "Thomas the Tank Engine" website, so while it's goingin through the torture test, I surf w/ my son and the temp never goes over 40°C.

Well, soon it was bed time for everyone and I tried to share the joy w/ my wife but all I got was "huh?" so, I'm sharing my joy w/ you guys!!!:D Further testing pending, of course....

It does my heart good to see this post. I just installed a slk-800A with a smartfan II on a 1700. I can't fire it up yet, I'm still shopping for a HDD and Vid card, but I feel better about my selection for cooling.

nice hunk of copper you got there, i have one too. i replaced my old coolermaster X-dream with it when i had my 2500+, the temps dropped 12C when i installed the SLK-800a. but....as luck would have it, i chipped the die pretty bad on my barton, now it has a happy home on my keychain. my 1800+ running at 2090MHz on 1.5V runs colder than a michigan snowstorm :D....well no really, but you get the idea.

Back