• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon 64 available in retail Now!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
too bad they're outta my $$ range...i'm gonna go check my local store (okinawa) and see if they got any...just so i can say i saw one...lol.

It was an nforce3 gigabyte mobo eh? I thought they weren't out yet. outpost.com doesn't have it..

Kibogaoka said:
Sweet. I bet they'll be elitistly expensive. That'd sorta kill my birthday which is 3 day b4 the release.:rolleyes:

Expected price is around $475. The Athlon64 FX is the chip that's really going to bust the bank, it's expected price is about $800 and you also have to buy registered RAM to use with it. If you want a chip that no other will touch though(atleast for the next few months), that's your chip.

I really wish people wouldnt complain about the prices when they debut... wasnt the 3.2 C like $600+ when it first came out? prices drop... and the way AMD likes to.. it may be soon :D ESP if it kicks intel into high gear... he he..

dropadrop said:
The prices are cheaper then p4's on release... Pretty suprising actually?

Heck, they're cheaper than P4's now. Currently, a 3.2ghz P4C is going for $624 on Newegg.

the A64 sounds like fun to me..but I don't think that it will hit mass markets yet..too much to do first..registered RAM, a new mobo..new cooling..and the nt o take advantage of the 64bit they'll need a new OS..new programs that are 64bit...I think that people don't want that hassle yet..but I'm all for AMD for go buy them anyway :)

Foxie3a said:
the A64 sounds like fun to me..but I don't think that it will hit mass markets yet..too much to do first..registered RAM, a new mobo..new cooling..and the nt o take advantage of the 64bit they'll need a new OS..new programs that are 64bit...I think that people don't want that hassle yet..but I'm all for AMD for go buy them anyway :)

You'll only need registered RAM for the A64 FX, unless something is changed at the last minute. Also, cooling isn't that expensive and I think many of the current hs's will work with the A64. You also won't need to have a 64bit os or software to get awesome performance out of the chip, that's just for future use when those things do come out, people will have a choice.

Back