• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System overheats

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thermodynamic

I'm probably overlooking something obvious, but I'm floored by this.

A few months ago I had set up the following:

Abit NF7 mobo
AIUHB Athlon 2100+ o/c to 2700+
1GB PC333 RAM
Thermaltake Volcano 11 Xaser fan
1.7V

SuSE Linux 8.2 Pro OS

System ran fine when playing games, etc.

The apartment temperature is 85 degrees F. CPU Fan RPM is 4600.

One day, I noticed the CPU fan had stopped running; and was stopped for a few hours (I'm amazed the computer didn't fry or lock up). I moved the fan blade and it started up again.

But now my CPU is overheating when playing Quake 3 Arena (1600x1200, 32-bit color, trilinear filtering), CPU getting up to 62 degrees C. Then the alarm sounds and my computer totally hangs (I should see if there's a fix for Linux as well)

When I touch the hintsink, it is very warm but that's not a valid test. :) And I can see the fan running as well, though I don't trust it.

Should I buy one of those Tornado cooling fans (80mm model) to replace the fan on the Thermaltake 11 Xaser cooler?

I'm also trying the system at 1.675V, though that's not going to help much.

What else can I do, thanks!

Your temps do sound a little to high to be stable, and far too high considering your level of overclock and cooling as well. I'd suggest reseating your heatsink and applying a neat layer of AS3. You shouldn't be having temp issues with a Volcano 11 until further overclocking.

Back