• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who's going to be the brave soul?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UberBlue

Completely NUTS
Who here among the early adopters is going to be the first to pry the IHS of their brand spanking new Athlon FX and tell the rest of us (sane) how it went?

I really want to see what's under that thing.

Pulling the heat spreader off an amd 64 chip? Maybe to look, but sure as hell aren't going to mount a heat sink to it. The SOI technology of the new chips make the core very very fragile, far more so than the old ones. Might even break it trying to get the heatspreader removed. What if the core is stuck on the other side with some sort of adhesive, and you pull the top layers off of it??

I am WAY losing track...does the AthlonFX fit the current 462-pin socket? or does it go with the new mobos that are like, not out yet...???

I was just wondering myself. My Cascade block is almost ready and I guess it would be more effective w/o the IHS.
I got 2C cooler when I uncapped my old Tualatin. It was a piece of cake.

Once they get to the $100 (or so) level that I would buy at anyway the risk of uncapping is acceptable.

Back