• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't find my lockup problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JediENM

Here are quick specs:

-DFI NFII LanParty Motherboard Revision A
-AMD Athlon XP 2100+ (B) (Don't remember the model number exactly but its the one that is suppose overclock a lot)
-Kingston HyperX Ram DDR 3700 running at 2-3-2-6 w/ heat spreaders(will run at 2-3-2-5 but can't figure if that is part of the stability problem or not)
-Koolance Case: 200w CPU cooler, Gold Video card cooler
-Western Digital 1200JD Seral ATA 120gb hard drive
-Plextor CD-RW
-Pioneer Slot DVD
-Antec 480w True Blue Powersupply
-3 Case fan
-Disk drive
-Sapphire Radeon 9800 SE, overclocked but i'll get to that

CPU Temp averages about 90F - 110F depending on how warm it is or what I am doing. So I know heat is not the problem.
Chipset is between high 30's c - high 40's c

CPU currently running at 200x11.5 = 2.3ghz @ 2.0 volts

From every bench mark that I run it seems stable. Won't crash in prime 95, but if I increase or decrease the FSB prime95 will crash. PCMark2002 is stable, 3dMark2003 is stable (more or less, can't tell if video card is problem or not)

Though when I go play C&C Generals, and Desert Combat the computer will lock up at a random point and I can't figure out wtf is causing it and its starting to **** me off. From what I can think I have tried everything and I still can't figure why it will lock up.

I know I didn't give that much info here but what I want to try and do is have you guyes ask me more questions about stuff and see if I have done certain things or not because I can't think of anything else to do, and your questions or ideas may help me find the stability issue.

Big thanks
Evan

Last edited:
I don't think you really mean this do you?

"CPU Temp averages about 90c - 110c depending on how warm it is or what I am doing. So I know heat is not the problem."

If it is really running at 90c then it is almost smoking. Do you mean 90 F?

Back everything back to default. FSB, cpu multi, etc. Does it run? If not, pull everything except video, one ram stick, and hard drive. Does it run? If not, the problem lies with what is left. If it does run, then something you pulled out is bad. Do a process of elimination. Also, you could have corrupted files on hard drive. You might try reformatting and starting over.

yea I saw that right before you posted, Degrees Fahrenheit for the CPU and the motherboard is in degrees Celsius. Just my type-o

it runs right now, i'm actually typing on it, while runing prime95. Though maybe i'll try reformatting nad installing everything again.

Try 7-3-3-2.I had read an in depth article on ram after getting the newer ddr.It convinced me that this was an optimal setting so that it doesn't slow itself down with tighter settings and cause instability.i wish i still had the link.

Back