• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temperature and Voltage...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brennan77

Simple question...

Can low temperatures yield higher max frequencies at a given voltage than warmer temperatures?

Don't misunderstand me here.

We all know that good cooling allows higher voltages which in tunr allows higher frequencies. But can very low temperatures allow lower voltages with high frequencies?

For example, I have an 1800@2400mhz with 1.85v. My temps are good with a luke warm heatsink. In the winter I plan to pipe in cold air from my window. Could this potentially allow for the same frequency with a lower voltage or a higher frequency at the same voltage?

I ask this because in my experiences I have not seen evidence of this. This could be for one of the following reasons...

a. It's not true. As long as the CPU is within reasonable ranges of temperature, it doesn't really matter.

or

b. I haven't seen temperature decreases large enough to affect the situation.

What say all you science minded people?

There are many people who use phase change cooling that have lower vcores and higher clock frequencies.

Ya, but they totally insulate everything around the socket... You have to be careful that you don't go too cold or you can get condensation.

hitechjb1 said:
Effect of die temperature on CPU clock frequency at a given Vcore
For a given Vcore, die temp does make a difference, can be a big difference.

E.g. for the same Vcore 1.9V on a Tbred B 1700+ DLT3C, roughly speaking,
- a difference of 10 C would enable one to clock about 4% faster, which is roughly 100 MHz at 2500 MHz.
- If there is a 50 C difference in die temp, e.g. one at 50 C on air, one at 0 C using extreme cooling, at same Vcore, the CPU at 0C would be able to run at about 20% faster, which is about 500 MHz more, compared to the one at 2.5 GHz on air.

Reason: electrons move faster at lower temperature under same voltage.

For more details:

Relationship of clock, die temperature and Vcore (update) (page 13)

Impact of higher ambient temperature on CPU clock frequency (page 6)

Effect of lowering ambient air temperature on CPU overclocking (page 7)

Some numbers to determine max CPU overclocking frequency - Vcore vs temperature (page 13)
Explanation (page 13)

Last edited:
hitechjb1 said:
How much voltage can be applied to a CPU

There are two components of power going into a CPU at a given Vcore:

1. The "good" CV^2f active power which powers the CPU to run at frequency f.
2. The "wasted" V^2/R static power which biases the CPU as leakage current, but also heats up the chip.

Putting in higher Vcore would generally let you clock faster (CVcore^2f). But unfortunately, it also heats up the chip (Vcore^2/R).

So on air, at lower temperature 10-20-30 C, the CPU can be clocked faster and faster at a rate about 130-140 MHz/100mV (for Tbred B, Barton). So far so good. But at the same time, the chip will begin to heat up due to Vcore increases (the V^2/R compoent and also from the active CV^2f component). As a result of heat, the electrons move slower inside the chip and the CPU begin to run slower, the above rate delf/delVcore begins to drop to 120 then 110 then 100 then 50 MHz /100 mV when die temperature reaches beyond 30 C, 40 C, 50 C, ... correspondingly for Vcore above 1.7, 1.8, 1.9 V, ... The heat increases at a rate faster than the Vcore increase to slow down the chip.

This is what we call the diminishing return on CPU frequency. And eventually, around 1.95 - 2 V for Tbred B, 1700+ DLT3C, it will come to "stop" (due to heat, high current and system instability) even when more Vcore is put in, since the heat slows the chip down. There is no more reason to increase Vcore anymore (even you don't kill the chip). For higher Vcore rated ones such as 2100+, Barton 2500+, that Vcore wall is around 2.05 - 2.2 V on air.

The above numbers are mainly for illustration, and they are roughly correct. But don't quote and use them for exact calculation.

If you use thermoelectric, phase change, .... exterme cooling, due to the lower die temperature, as mentioned above, the chips can run much faster and reach much higher frequency (e.g. 3+ GHz) at the same Vcore (compared to air/water) before the die reaching the higher temperature as cooled by air. E.g. at 1.95-2V 1700+ will run at 2.5-2.6 GHz on air at 50 C, but it will run at 3 - 3.2 GHz at -10 C.

It does not mean you can put much higher Vcore onto the chips at lower die temperature. Vcore is subjected to transistor leakage increase, gate breakdown constraints. They run faster is a combination of higher active power to substain the computation (both logical and electrical) and lower die temperature, not higher Vcore alone.

Repost of my (unanswered) q:
c627627 said:
Gotta love hitechjb1's involved posts backed up with data.

How about this:
It has been said that all T-Bred A's average 2.0 GHz while all T-Bred B's average 2.3 GHz.

Of course the numbers vary from system to system but if we were to talk in general average terms, what then would be the highest acceptable temperature where the term acceptable is defined in hitechjb1's previous post.

c627627 said:
Gotta love hitechjb1's involved posts backed up with data.

How about this:
It has been said that all T-Bred A's average 2.0 GHz while all T-Bred B's average 2.3 GHz.

Of course the numbers vary from system to system but if we were to talk in general average terms, what then would be the highest acceptable temperature where the term acceptable is defined in hitechjb1's previous post.

I have done some calculation for Tbred B 1700+ DLT3C and Barton 2500+, to see how overclocking frequency varies with Vcore, how temperature degrades the overclocking as Vcore is being increased higher.

Without listing a whole set of numbers and tables, roughly speaking:
for a Tbred B 1700+ DLT3C, at around 1.9 - 2.0 V, using 0.22 C/W air cooling (e.g. SLK-900U), each degree C increase would "eat" into 8-11 MHz of the CPU overclocking frequency at which, according to my earlier definition (10 MHz / C), reaches the diminishing return of CPU overclocking frequency. This occurs at a temperature between 56 - 63 C for a sample of CPU's with different speed quality. Above that voltage, temperature would slow the CPU speed down more than the gain of CPU speed by increasing Vcore.

For worse HSF, that point would occur at much lower voltage and CPU frequency (e.g. 0.36 C/W, 2.2-2.3 GHz, 1.7 V, 60 C). For better, extreme cooling, that point would occur at much higher frequency.

Overclocking characteristic (voltage, frequency, power, current, temperature) of a Tbred B 1700+ DLT3C for faster, slower chips (page 14)

Last edited:
Back