• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Airflow Query

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fuzzbeaner

Hey, I have more intakes then outtake fans, good right.

But to my bewilderment, the holes in my front bezel, seem to be leaking a good quanity of air! This probably means less cool air for the actual components....right?

So anyways, should I plug up all holes that have escaping air and are not near key components?

Thanks, Jeff.

-Jeff

Perfectly natural. This is the air escaping... In theory, warm air. So:
Fans blow outside air in -> 'Old' Air Blown out
Don't plug up the exhaust holes for your computer, you'll probably notice higher temps.

Also, I've noticed that in most cases I've had, negative air pressure (more fans exhausting than intake) resulted in lower temperatures. Eobard will vouch for this one also.

I used a plastic tube that was for home made speaker boxes. I got it at a local flea market for $3Can and after marking out the correct location for the hole to be made in the door using my temp cardboard door as a template I cut the hole and then cut the length of the tube so that it comes close (2-3mm) to touching the sink's fan so that very little case air can get sucked in and re-circulated, most of it comes from outside the case. Here's a pic of it on the inside and outside.

I agree with you guys on the negative pressure thing. I added an extra exhaust fan and my temps went down as well as my chassis fan now running at the specified rpm.

As a plus, I have a side fan that blows on my legs and keeps them nice and cool (or nice and toasty when you're foldin'!)

Back