• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2400+ o/c & BSOD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rpckvv

Every time I o/c my 2400 above 2.3ghz, i get the bsod/restart/bsod/etc spiel...is there a reason behind this, because posting is fine, and even up to 2.25ghz is more than stable...is there just some threshold where windows or something won't go any further?

i mean, i'm running right now 185x12 (2.22ghz) and i've got idle temps of 35C with a tornado, and i was wondering if there was anything i could do to get my cpu ABOVE 2.22 ghz...my only problem is the BSOD, which i can't read in the first place because it restarts so quickly...

i'm running on the following system:
amd tbred 2400+
abit kx7-333r
512mb corsair pc3200 ddr
newest bios flash (but there's no 2400 option in bios, so i set the speed myself anyway)

oh, and it took me like 2 minutes to unlock the chip...easiest thing i've done in my life

-peter

what voltage are you using?!

It could also be that you are reaching the limits of your chip.

Almost all cpus will post at higher frequencies than what is stable enough to get into windows.

If you have not increased your voltage, then a little more voltage will bring you into windows. This is at the cost of a slightly shorter cpu lifespan.

ah. I would say that you are getting near your chip's limits then.
Did you note what speed it would overclock to at default voltage?
My 2400+ overclocked to 2.2Ghz with 1.625v, then more speed required more and more voltage until 2.3~2.4Ghz only being achievable with 1.75v.

So there's nothing wrong with your chip.

didnt check really...

after all this, i can o/c a 2.0ghz chip by 200mhz...sounds pretty pathetic considering that i get extremely low idle temps

-peter

well, unfortunately not all 2400+ cpus overclock the way some of these 1700+ do.

I bought a 2400+ as there are no low speed thoroughbreds available.

Both our chips are in the average to low range of 2400+, but I guess luck is not always on your side.

i had the same problem with my 2400+, the bsod thingy, just raised the voltage (rite now im at 2 volts)

im at 2.45ghz 15*164

temps arent everything, you can have a temp of 30 and you cant reach higher speeds without more voltage...which in turn raises temps..

One thing you should note tho, is that idle temps are meaningless really, Prime95 (or the likes) full load temps are way more important.

Well if we knew ur CPU stepping we could pretty much tell you the right answer about ur CPU's OC abilities. If the CPU is more than a few months old then that would propably be it, its OC ability is nothing like the one of the newer CPUs. and you should try more vcore and see if 2.3 is stable then

anytime my friend raises his FSB by 5 on his 2400+ windows wont even boot. 2400+ just dont do well with overclocking for some reason.

Can you post some important informations about overclocking the CPU:

- what heat sink (HSF can ake a big difference between 2.2 and 2.4+ GHz)
- what PSU
- what is the load temperature when running Prime95

Since you have PC3200 memory and FSB is at 185 MHz (assuming you are using 1/5 PCI divider for the KX7-333R), they seem not to have caused the BSOD problem.

Last edited:
i have the thermalright ax-7, a True430 psu, and my load temps are near 38C.

the stepping on my cpu is AIUHB 0305

how high can i go w/ my voltage before needing a vcore mod?

-peter

ok...i'm now at 2.313 ghz (185x12.5), and i believe the problem is not voltage to the cpu, but rather the combination of FSB and my chipset...

i only have a kt333, and it seems like every time i push the fsb above 185 (i havent fine tuned it...i'll try 186, 187, etc) it gives me the BSOD regardless...

either way, i've got it at 2.3ghz right now, and i'll see if i can squeak it any higher (i've got my vcore at 1.85 now)...

-peter

rpckvv said:
i have the thermalright ax-7, a True430 psu, and my load temps are near 38C.

the stepping on my cpu is AIUHB 0305

how high can i go w/ my voltage before needing a vcore mod?

-peter

Your hardware list looks fine for overclocking the CPU. I would try increasing Vcore step by step at 25 mV increment to 1.9 - 1.95 V (at least for testing and supported by the motherboard bios).

Watch the load temperature rise as Vcore increase. For Tbred B CPU, when the overclocking reaches about 10 MHz / C rise in CPU load temperature, overclocking will slow down faster.

If you are using 1.75 V, going to 1.9 V step by step should give another 100-120 MHz (estimate) with a temperature increase about 6-8 C.

rpckvv said:
ok...i'm now at 2.313 ghz (185x12.5), and i believe the problem is not voltage to the cpu, but rather the combination of FSB and my chipset...

i only have a kt333, and it seems like every time i push the fsb above 185 (i havent fine tuned it...i'll try 186, 187, etc) it gives me the BSOD regardless...

either way, i've got it at 2.3ghz right now, and i'll see if i can squeak it any higher (i've got my vcore at 1.85 now)...

-peter

As for FSB overclocking, it depends on the motherboard, memory, chipset, memory controller. For KT333 chipset, 185 MHz FSB is about the normal upper limit. But FSB does not rule out high CPU overclocking which you have already achieved for the norm of a 2100+ at around 1.9 V on air.

yeah...it's definately the FSB, because it just wont go past 185mhz...

unfortunately, i also have a few other things going against me:
1. i cant push the vcore above 1.85v
2. i cant select multipliers above 12.5

so i guess i'm pretty much stuck @ 2.313ghz with this chipset...maybe i'll look into getting a kt400 chipset...

-peter

Don't go with a Via chipset if you want decent overclocking. nForce 2 Rulez. From experience.

Good motherboards with this chipset are <$120.

yeah....i'm actually gonna wait it out, because i'm gonna be mothballing this computer next year, so i dont want to spend $120 for one year...

i'm pretty happy with 2.3ghz, and just as long as the sound goes WAY down with my watercooling setup (that i'm almost done with) i'll be really happy with what i've got

-peter

sounds cool, yeah this 2400+ that i got (several months ago) im still trying to get stable at 2.5 on my nf2 board (dfi lanparty nf2 ultra) but before i had a board with a kt400, and i couldnt get anywhere near these speeds, i thought it was the cpu maybe but with this new board (which goes up to 2volts) im able to get a lot more outta it

Back