• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thunderbird 1400 multiplier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

abbo1978

Hi folks,
I have a KT133, 100 MHz FSB mobo, and a friend of mine recently gave me a 133 MHz Thunderbird 1400 (133x10.5). Since my mobo doesn´t support 133 MHz, it will ran at an underclocked frecuency of 1050 MHz (100x10.5) Raising the mobo`s FSB is out of the question because I get crashes as soon as I reach 105 MHz. My mobo doesn´t allow to change vcore/multiplier via BIOS or jumpers so my last shot would be to set a x14 multiplier within the L bridges and leave a 100 FSB to get to 1400 MHz.

I´ve been doing some research on the L bridges and I couldn´t find any combination that goes above a 12.5 multiplier. ¿Anyone knows a way to get it to 14?

Thanks a lot.

There is a way to do it with XP's buy putting little U shaped wires in certain holes in the socket, but I don;t know if it would work on a Tbird. I guess you could always try. OR those chips go for some good money on ebay, sell it and pick up a 1.2 or 1.3(not the 1.33) Athlon for probably half of what your sell the 1.4 for.

Here's the link for the pin mod: http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

You can't set that multiplier with that CPU, the only way that the 1300 and 1400 Bs (100MHz default FSB) could run at these speeds was because they have internal multiplier remap, so just for example when you set it to x10 you get x13 and x11 u get x14 (that was just an example). Just like on the old K6-2/3s that ran over 400Mhz, when u set the mobo to x2 you got x6.
The lower C chips don't have this as there is no need for it. you can go to http://www.ocinside.de/html/workshop/socketa/socketa_resistors.html for bridge settings for the Tbird's default multi

If you bridge it to 12.5 its still better than running at 1050. If you can afford a little money, find a used Kt266 board or anything that can take over 100 FSB. K7S5A's are dirt cheap and can handle that fine.

Newegg also still has MSI K7T Turbo2 mobo's (KT133a chipset) for sale pretty cheap and will run that Tbird just fine, as well as any Tbred B that runs a 266 fsb. The only downside to the board is that it uses the 12v P4 connector; if your psu doesn't have one then you will need to buy an adapter cable, which Newegg also has. The Turbo2 board also doesn't have any ISA slots so if you are using an old ISA board in your present rig, you are out of luck.

Back