• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking AMD 3000+.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

illwill22

Alright, well this is my first overclocking experience with this computer and i sure as hell don't want to screw anything up. I have a question about core voltage or what i should actually put mine up too. I have already bumped the FSB up a decent amount, but to want to get further. I have stock heatsink/fan (im gettin a new one soon, my old tornado's fan decided to crap out on me). What do you guys recommend? What voltage, fsb, or multiplier should i set it up too? I knwo to start low and go up until it basically isn't stable but im just curious if someone has overclocked the same CPU and what there settings were. My system is as follows

AMD 3000+ (not 400 FSB)
DFI lanparty nForce II ultra MoBo
kingston 2700 (1.5 gigs dual channel)

I know my specs are below but i thought i woudl just write it out so it easier to read. Any ideas anyone?

nForce2 PCI locked mobo is an excellent start.
With all copper cooling such as Thermalright SK-7:

Kingston PC2700 goes between 180 and 190 FSB 12 hour Prime95 Torture Test stable.

Target MHz is a around 2.3 GHz so up the multiplier gradually according to what highest FSB you achieve.

Highest acceptable safe Vcore is 1.8 Volts.

If you get more out of your setup, it means you're above average.

Good luck new member.

If you have money to spare I would suggest some better cooling.

Air Cooling High End
$50~65
2.3~2.5Ghz
Water Cooling
$150-300 (you can build your own for about $150~230 and it will be much better then any kit you buy)
~2.6Ghz

Extreme Cooling
$300~1000 You can build your own waterchiller for about $300. However A VapoChill or Prometeia will provide better cooling
World record results

what do you mean the highest acceptable vcore is 1.8??

I have my 3000 at 1.8 now and i get 47c on full load in an unaircondidtioned room with my fans abotu 3/4 power.

With the AC on Full load in at about 42c.

Why wouldnt 1.85 be acceptable for me?

Because forum members report degradation of highest achievable, stable, 12 hour Prime95 Torture Test passable overclock if you go with over 1.85.

1.85 is tad bit on the other side but not as bad as if you went higher.

All forum members who reported this degradation had over 1.85 Vcore.

It would depend on how much hogher of a stable overclock you would get with 1.85 vs. 1.80 to go with 1.85.

Of course you can go higher than that but we would not be talking about 'safe Vcore increase' any more.

ah ok thanks for the heads up.

I wasnt going to go much higher than 1.8v at least until Winter was upon us. Nothing like natural free cooling. :cool:

How high were you able to get your 3000, and at what voltage? I have only ever tried 14x166.667 (2.33 ghz) and it was stable at 1.7v. I'm not in the mood to shoot for 2.5ghz on a 300 dollar cpu, heh. But if someone else managed to hit 2.5 at 1.8-85, I'd love to try it out :p.

I have a XP 3000+ right now with the stock sink/fan and it does 2350 @ 1.7v stable @ 54C load. I ordered a SLK-900a and a 119cfm 92mm tornado. Im thinkin 2.5 @ 1.85v should be the mark.

Whats the code on your Barton?

Mine is AXDA3000DKV4D 4835344270102 AQXDA0317SPCW

Im still pushing it but im at 1.8 currently and have 208x11, im going to see how much more i can get out of it over the next few days.

Back