• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how often

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aristotle-IV

Registered
do you reapply AS3 or whatever thermal compound you use?

If you apply do you think temps would drop a little?

i think that once you put it it's for good except if you had to remove the heatsink/waterblock out of your cpu you may want to reapply some compoud. but again once you put it it's for good it won't go away until you clean it...

Every 2 hours.

Actually...

Once you have a good and solid mount, you shouldn't have to reapply anything unless you change heatsinks or processors.

AS3 works better when it has had time to settle, i think it has something to do with air bubbles or something, so I assume if you reapply your not helping at all.

i know settling it in helps, but i thought that over it time it might be sort of corroded.

Arctic Silver 3, Ceramique, Shin-Etsu, Nanotherm, Radio Shack Grease, and all other type of thermal goop are designed to have decent thermal conductivity for long periods of time, meaning they are engineered to keep from evaporating in almost all cases (don't mention Nanotherm PCM+, it's a different thing). Corrosion or other time-sensitive chemical reactions are definitely not an option with marketable pastes. A good application of AS3 will last for a very, very long time if it's not physically disturbed (such as by removing the heatsink).

I've even left the same application on if I took the heatsink off for whatever reason. That was just because I was out of ceramique though and didn't want to use the Radio Shack stuff. It's still better to reapply if you disturb it.

I've had AA on P1MMX, Crapix MII and K6-2 systems and after running for months overclocked, over-volted and over-heated taken the sink off to find that the AA had seperated into an oil and a tacky kud (for lack of a better word) like spray paint that's been put on too thickly and hasn't quite dried yet. But I've never used any of the AS's or ceramique so I can't say they'd do the same.

Back