• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bensa

I have a 40mm fan from the IS-7 northbridge and it would fit pretty well on top of my 2 ram sticks(sig), and blow into the middle. My ram has blue aluminium heatspreaders, and they do get pretty warm. Would this cool it down significantly, because theres a fan that blows in their direction, but only hits one side of the first stick?

what kind of ram, and how hot? Unless it is hot I wouldn't bother. Are you oc'ing? You could put it there and see if it lets you go any higher, that would only take like 2 minutes to check that.

Sorry, I forgot I changed my sig. I have 2 512mb stick of Mushkin PC3200 DDR. And these things aren't burning hot, but still hot. I need to get a electronic thermometer. Ill try the mod tommorow, its past midnight, so its not a good time to screw around with fans, superglue and warm surfaces.

Sure, I'll probably just use a normal glass thermometer, wont be very accurate, but will show if the difference is drastic. I'll measure on the sides that are facing towards each other.

How much voltage are you going to put into them?

If your using just 2.7V or 2.8V, then this little modification won't do much, other then maybe give it more of a custimized look and add to the loudness. If you do one of the Volt mods and have your memory at 3.1V or 3.2V, then you might be able to squeek the performance gourda has been raving about while keeping your memory just that bit more safer.

Back