• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with overclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BumontheRun

Can someone help me with overclocking my cpu?

my mother board is: ASUS A7V8X-X AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron Socket A (tech specs: http://secure.newegg.com/app/specification.asp?item=13-131-451)

and my cpu is: AMD ATHLON XP 2500+ "Barton" 333 FSB PROCESSOR

tech specs:
CPU: 1.83 GHz
Type: XP 2500 Barton Core
Cache: 512K L2, 128K L1, Total 640KB
BUS: 333MHz
Socket A

I know it can be overclocked to a 3200+ because other people have done it.... but i don't know how to overclock... so can someone help me?

It's actually quite easy, and thanks to the help I recieved on this forum I got my 2.8Ghz up to 3.2Ghz with the memory running in 1:1 ratio at 456Mhz. Just enter bios, make sure modes like PAT and Performance are off, set the memory at 5:4 ratio (Advanced > Jumperfree Configuration). On my motherboard, there was three options of the memory frequency. 260, 320, and 400. 400 is 1:1 ratio, while 320 is 5:4. After that, I just upped the CPU External Frequency (Advanced > Jumperfree Configuration) with the + key on the keypad. The default on mine is 200, while 228 got me to 3.2Ghz. I hope that helps.

There is a option in bios....'cpu speed' ... if i change that to one of the other options will it overclock it?...its at 1833 now...and i think there r 2 higher...2200 (i think) and one higher then that...

Well you're running an AMD, and I'm unfamiliar with that. My motherboard is an Intel. I just posted how I overclocked and figured you might have found some similarities. Someone should reply who knows, too bad it couldn't have been me.

ok i changed it in bios to 2200mhz... and under system in control panel it says same...does this mean its overclocked?

FIrst what you should do is unlock the CPU. Then that will allow you to change the multiplier. So if you have an FSB of 333 and a multiplier of 5.5(that is just a calculation I made) you will get 1830. So if you raise the FSB it will speed everything up but if you raise the multiplier it will only speed up the CPU. That was basic but there are plenty of people out there that know more than me.

Thank You,
Daniel

Defaults for the AMD Barton 333FSB 2500+:

Default multiplier = 11x
Default FSB = 333, real clock 166MHz.

Your multiplier is unlocked already, you can adjust it in the BIOS.

On your A7V8X, you have a Via KT400 chipset, which only allows you to overclock in jumps, as the FSB speed is linked to the PCI bus speed in terms of multipliers. You DON'T want to overclock the PCI bus as hard drive controllers and network controllers will refuse to play at speeds of above 37MHz.

In order to set the various FSB speeds you will need to set everything to "user Defined" - allowing complete customisation of the settings. You may not be able to reach 200MHz FSB speed as your motherboard does not support it. You can however up the multiplier to get an extra 200 mhz - so you will be running at 2083mhz.

The CPU itself has a name string that the Control Panel reads and it will still say XP2500 as that was the branding on the chip. Run WCPUID (can be found after 20 seconds of googling) and that will tell you your actual clock speed.

Other factors greatly influence the potential overclock that you can do. List your RAM brand and speed, Power supply (Brand more important than wattage ratings), cooling solution (heatsink and fan) and how many case fans you have.

Yes, don't increase your FSB past 190mhz or else you'll very likely corrupt your hard drive. This is speaking from experience.

Read the beginner guides first, though. Those can be useful. Also look at some other threads in the AMD CPU forums.

My case: ANTEC SOHO File ServerTower ATX Case Model SX1040BII with 400 Watt Smart Power, Power Supply **Black**Performance 2 (http://secure.newegg.com/app/specification.asp?item=11-129-120)

MY ram: CRUCIAL MICRON 512MB 64x64 PC 2700 DDR RAM - OEM (
CRUCIAL MICRON 512MB 64x64 PC 2700 DDR RAM )

Not sure if thats the exact one...but i know its a crucial 512mb...

I have 4 case fans and i use the retail fan for the cpu....

You said my motherboard doesn't support 200mhz fsb... but the site says it supports up to 333...?

Also i was using a program made by biostar to try and overclock(warp speeder) cause i wanted a program to do it... and it did something but i ended up telling it to go back to the system defaults...

Later i ended up having problems with windows and stuff...even after i format windows and reinstall it still has errors and crap. I used a program made by westerndigital to check my hard drive for errors... there were none.

Could the warpspeeder be the reason i am having problems? And can i fix it by just resetting bios?

Download the program in my sig (GCPUID) it will tell you the CPU speed, if its any higher than 1833 (and by at least a few tens of MHz) then you're O/Ced. Now its time to get Prime95 and run it for 12-24hours

The actual clock speed of your motherboard goes up to 166MHz, but the data is transferred twice per clock cycle, hence DDR333. 400FSB is 400DDR, an actual clock speed of 200MHz.

Retail AMD HSFs are not much better than paperweights if you want any appreciable overclock. Copper coolers are available that cost around $20 and coupled with an 80mm fan they offer about twice the performance of the little aluminium jobby.

I reccommend you use your BIOS to overclock. As far as I know, it has a lot less problems than by using a program.

Well when i used the preset bios cpu 2200 mhz...it changes the multiplier and the other thing... so this would then be overclocked?

Also it doesn't seem to get much hotter when overclocked...only like a few degrees....but a lot of people said that in the reviews on newegg...

It doesn't get much hotter because you are still using the default voltage. Power dissipation goes up as a square of the voltage used instead of linearly as is the case with the speed of the chip. If you see a faster speed in WCPUID, then congrats, you've overclocked :cool:

i had a problem installing that program cause it said a windows .dll was protected... but it worked... i changed the bios settings and it says its 2200mhz now...so i guess its overclocked...

Back