• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hooking up case fans to PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kevral

Registered
I need to connect five case fans to power, and don't dare hook them up to the mobo.
If I am going to hook them up directly to the power supply, how do I do this if the fans have 3-pin connectors? Do I have to buy converters, or can I just splice the cable onto a 4-pin connector cable from the PSU?

This is probably a newbie question, but I didn't find anything in search.
Appreciate any help I can get!

yeah, you can splice them, or some other technique.
I presume you're not much the solderer?

on the 4 pin connectors:
yellow: +12V
red: +5V
black: both are ground, but it might be prudent (though probably not) to keep the on close to the 12V as the ground for 12V and the one next to the 5V for the 5V's ground.

The 3pin has a +12V lead, a ground (presumably black), and a signal lead for RMP monitoring. The +12V is usually red and the signal is usually yellow. WARNING: this is not always the case. However, the pin positions should be universal. The gound in the center and the +12V and signal on the sides.. but which sides?

somebody pick up this fumble...

I am so technically un-inclined that I never even thought of soldering..... Guess that is something I need to re-learn. Thanks!

Back