• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thoughts about the xaser

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

makkunbakkun

Registered
hey guys long time since i have been able to spend money on my computer but here goes into my new idea.... at the moment i have this cheap a$$ case like 30$ with both panels off for cooling =p now i was wondering how well of a choice this would be as a replacement
http://www.xoxide.com/thxaiiiv2.html
does anyone have that that can give me any feedback on it? or a better case around that price
does anyone know if its loud or quiet or at least sleepable next to? thx in advance

I have a xaser III with 4 smart fan 2's as intakes and the rest stock. The only thing that I hear is the cpu fan when it kicks in. Its a great case.

Phil

You can do a search on Xaser and there's quite a few feedback on this case. There is a problem with the IEEE 1394 Firewire port on top of the case. It's not wired correctly but you can fix that fairly easily. You can read about it HERE Newegg has it for a bit cheaper and free shipping ($159 w/window).

Casetek is the OEM for these cases and recently started selling their own versions in steel and aluminum. I have a steel Enermax version which I bought for $81 shipped from newegg. I bought 5 SmartFanII from bestbyte.com for ~$45 shipped. It is loud with the SmartFanII's but you can go with some Panaflows (Case-mod.com has them for $4.75 ea) if you get a Casetek or Enermax. The Casetek doesn't come with the side fan mount door but the Enermax does. Airflow in the case is excellent. I get only a 1°C drop when I take the side panel off.

Unless you go to LAN parties or move your case around a LOT, there's really no benefit to getting an aluminum case. It's just more expensive.

The fit and finish of these cases is excellent and you won't cut your fingers or knuckles working in them. I've heard that the side mounting of the hd's can be a problem if you have short IDE cables or if you have a PATA drive with a SATA converter. Even my SATA cables on my SATA drives are a tight fit. You'll also have to either mod the tabs that hold PCI cards or take them out and use a screw to hold your PCI cards.

Either way you go, you won't be disappointed with this case.

-Bobby

seiferoth10 said:
xasers IIIs are quite loud due to 7 fans...

id say something like antec sonata or lanboy

Do you have one to check? the fans that came with my Xaser III are pretty much silent. The only reason i can heat my case fans is because i replaced some fans with SFIIs... if you stick with stock fans the Xaser III is an awsome case. Just stay away from the Firewire ports. And i got mine for 130 from www.monarchcomputer.com i don't know how much it is now though.

SlipperyToy said:
Very sweet looking case if noise does not bother you!!!.....Good for the bling bling factor. :cool:

i have the blue xaserIII(no window)and its a nice case.
its a great deal beause of the 7 fans and the hardcano9.
and you can bling it out with the Xview:D

Um, too all the people that comment on the noise of the Thermaltake Xaser III's you obviously don't have one.
Mine came with 7 fans. I have them all hooked up to the fan controler but they are always on full. You can not hear any of them. They are silent!
The only noise from my box is the CPU fan TT SFII when it is cranked up to max 4800rpm/75.7cfm/48db. If I turn that fan down to about 2/3 max it becomes silent also. My CPU temps only climb about 4C.

The one I have the III V1000A is a sweet box. Built like a tank! Love the filters for the intake fans, the hardcano, the tooless design - only the A: drive needs screws, no rough edges inside, the ability to lock kids away from buttons, did I mention the 7 fans?, tons of room, the top usb/firewire/headphone&mic.

There is/was a concern with the firewire in the top. Appears that 2 wires were miswired. If you use a device that is powered by the firewire it could fry it. Devices that aren't powered by the firewire work fine. There is a real simple fix of switching the 2 wires.
Not sure if the newer cases still have this problem.

ps. and I think there is enough room to hang some fuzzy dice in the case if your so inclined:D

i like my xaserIII case.i just got a beef with the the top intake on the side,front intakes,and the top exhaust holes.after cutting out
the case fan grills i dropped my temps about 3C.and if you notice
the top exhaust hole is smaller than the fan.

Lol, well yes you can go further with this case by modding but....why go to all the trouble of that? Just remove the side cover:D

god i need a answer, quiet or loud damnit would a computer with 4 vantec stealths be awesome?

seiferoth10 said:
xasers IIIs are quite loud due to 7 fans...

id say something like antec sonata or lanboy

With the fans turned down I can't hear them at all. With the fans turned up, I still can't hear them over my GPU/CPU fans (stock duron and ti4200). Alot of people are anti-xaser because it comes with a window etc, but don't let them deter you if it's what you want.

makkunbakkun said:
god i need a answer, quiet or loud damnit would a computer with 4 vantec stealths be awesome?

Which model are you talking about? If it is the one in my sig, trust me it is quiet.
Ok looked up the link in your original post. That case is basically the same exact case as mine except it is an all aluminium. That means it uses the same exact fans therefore it will be just as quiet.

You will love the case!! The only noise you will have is the possible noise from your CPu Fan or your Powers supply. For the record these cases are pretty sound proof as far as cases go.

The only thing I can think of on why someone would say this case is noisy is because they had an older model that possibly didn't use these fans. All the newer Xaser III's use the silent fans.\

Mac said:
how much bigger is the xaserIII compared to the xaserII?

It appears the III's are 2" deeper than the II's. Otherwise they have the same dimensions.

makkunbakkun said:

no it would not be, the you already cant hear the tt fans that come with the case. by putting in those fans, the airflow would be even less. Save the money and just buy the case IT IS QUIET I HAVE ONE:D

I've recently purchased a xacer III, but the front LCD panel isn't working .

I've connected all power cords along with the censer, but the LCD just wouldn't turn on. Fan controls don't work either

Can anyone help me???

Back