• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin 2-2-2 promo not doing so good.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Well bros, this ram ain't worth much so far. my mobo recognizes the timings on SPD as 2.5-3-3-7 I can get it to boot to windows at 240fsb 1:1 and bench it with Sandra but it only gives me a 5392 score. i tried the the 5:4 at 240fsb but I cant' get it to complete any benches. i manually set it to the advertised 2-2-2 and got it to boot into windows at 235fsb but it crashed everytime I got past the "welcome" screen on windows boot. All of these benches are at 3.2v This memory is "underwhelming" in th eperformance deptarment. I really thought it was gonna be something...especially after all of the "tighter timings vs. high fsb" arguments I have seen. This memory even benches lower on default than my A-data pc4000

EDIT****

Mushkin 2-2-2 pc3200 default = 4425

A-data 3-3-4 pc4000 default = 4268 ***edit

The tight timings beat my Adat by 157 at default. Big deal I never run my rig at default.

This mem sucks bros! Maybe thats why they call it a "promo build"?

I can't even test out the "tight timings gives you a 1-1.5k increase in 2001 3D" cause it crashes on 2001 3D everytime.

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong, but you say you are getting PC3700 speeds (234MHz) at 2-2-2 timings and complaining? Or does it not boot or something, sorry not entirely understanding where you are faulting it at? Mushkin promo-build does have a problem with BIOS recognizing low timings BY SPD, but you can't really fault them for that (just changing it in BIOS is simple).

For your SANDRA benchmarks, try using the UN-buffered method (check ANANDTECH.COM for how-to). Also maybe try a gaming bench or other real-world test for performance.

Speed_Mechanic2 said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but you say you are getting PC3700 speeds (234MHz) at 2-2-2 timings and complaining? Or does it not boot or something, sorry not entirely understanding where you are faulting it at? Mushkin promo-build does have a problem with BIOS recognizing low timings BY SPD, but you can't really fault them for that (just changing it in BIOS is simple).

For your SANDRA benchmarks, try using the UN-buffered method (check ANANDTECH.COM for how-to). Also maybe try a gaming bench or other real-world test for performance.

As i said in my original post the 2-2-2 @ pc3700 (235fsb) crashed everytime after the it booted into windows.

The reason why i bought this mem in the first place was to run it at a higher than average fsb with the tight timings by way of my Max 3 & its 3.2v selection in the bios. It just isn't working out, When I try 5:4 it runs my cpu at 3.9 & my mem at 208fsb and crashes in that as well....it doesn't matter what I do to it this memory doesn't come close to my A-data except at default fsb and then each fsb increase until it can't handle the job and crashes (even with 3.2v) my A-data just blazes right through whatever I throw at it on a 2.8v. Maybe there is some tight timing mem out there that can do it but this ain't it.

Are you just trying certain settings or are you moving up slowly to see what you can do? First of all, you can do 200MHz w/ 2-2-2-6 right? If you keep increasing by 3-5MHz each, running at a 1:1 ratio, what is the highest you can go?

BTW, most memory can't go much higher then 230MHz with 2-2-2 timings. Only a lucky few have gotten higher then this, and it's really more about luck then product.

Speed_Mechanic2 said:
Are you just trying certain settings or are you moving up slowly to see what you can do? First of all, you can do 200MHz w/ 2-2-2-6 right? If you keep increasing by 3-5MHz each, running at a 1:1 ratio, what is the highest you can go?

BTW, most memory can't go much higher then 230MHz with 2-2-2 timings. Only a lucky few have gotten higher then this, and it's really more about luck then product.

The highest I can go is 230mhz on 1:1

Thte 5:4 doesn't seem worth it cause my mem is only at 208fsb at 260 on th ecpu.

As for your 1:1 of 230MHz at 2-2-2, you should consider yourself lucky to get that. That's offers great performance, although limits your P4 3.0C to 3.45GHz. That is still very high, do you know for sure that it's not your processor that's limiting your 5:4 past 208/260? Your 3.0C has a Multiplier of 15, so running it at 260MHz will give you a speed of 3.9GHz, which is about the highest many will go.

Your memory seems great, for only $139, you got DDR460 at timings of 2-2-2. Alot better then any current Corsair or Kingston CH-5 will get you.

I agree. That sound's like some nice bonus speed!! I have Mushkin level2 black PC3200. I can get the guaranteed 400@ 2.2.2, but anything significant over that I need to relax the timings. If I wanted 433@222, I'd have gotten PC3500@222, etc.

Anyway, I'd say run memtest at the speeds where you are having problems to see if it is the mem or windows at that speed.

he is using 3.2v though.. Make sure you have all the gat settings at disabled normal or auto, if they are not then i am sure that is your problem

Highest i can go is 2.8v and i cant even boot at anything over 12x200. Im running 12x200 @ 4-2-2-2 but i notice no difference over my kingston valur at this same speed with 8-3-3-2.5 timings. I even tried 10-3-3-2 and 10-3-3-2.5 and still cant get above 200.

Try a lower Multiplier. Your processor might be maxing out with a 12 Multiplier instead of your memory. Are you sure it's the memory that's causing your problems?

Speed_Mechanic2 said:
Try a lower Multiplier. Your processor might be maxing out with a 12 Multiplier instead of your memory. Are you sure it's the memory that's causing your problems?

I tried doing 10x205 and it doesnt work either

Speed_Mechanic2 said:
How many settings have you tried? And how many does work? Have you tried contacting Mushkin, if not, try when they get back to office on Monday.

What do you mean? It wont even boot in CL2.5. And no matter what timings i try it isnt stable past 200.

When you tried to figure out the max overclock, did you work in increments? With a Multiplier of 8 how far up can you get your FSB/Memory with timings of 2-2-2-6 and 2-3-3-6 respectively? With Multiplier of 10, how far up can you get with 2-2-2-6 and 2-3-3-6 or 2-3-3-11?

Speed_Mechanic2 said:
When you tried to figure out the max overclock, did you work in increments? With a Multiplier of 8 how far up can you get your FSB/Memory with timings of 2-2-2-6 and 2-3-3-6 respectively? With Multiplier of 10, how far up can you get with 2-2-2-6 and 2-3-3-6 or 2-3-3-11?
well i tried 8x220 and look what happened. Link

turn off your psu and unplug it and take out cmos battery for like 10 mins then put it back in and set your psu back up.. then hold insert before you turn on your comp and keep it held down until something happens

Well, i tried everything everyone has told me except your last post here Q. I unplug the PSU and took out the CMOS battery for 24 hours and it didnt work. I didnt try exactly what you said yet though. Im trying that now although i think its a dead mobo. I got one on the way anyway. I wanted to ask...how would i go about RMA'ing my mushkin? The sales rep told me this...

Nick,

Why don't you go ahead and return the module in the following manner:

Attn: RMA XXX-XXX - credit
Mushkin
435 W Colfax Ave
Denver, CO 80204

When we receive your module we'll credit order XXXXXXx.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Nathan

So what do i need to do? Get a box and ship it back with that as the address on the box? If so, where do i get a label to ship it back? Thanks

Speed_Mechanic2 said:
Didn't you recieve their Air Bladder bag? If so, just put it back in that, then put that in a box and send it back.

Yes, i got it in the air bag. But what do i put on the box that i use to send it back?

Back