• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the best 1U cooper cooler availble?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aristotle-IV

Registered
im going to replace the stock cooler on my 9700 with a 1u hsf.

Im wondering what is the best one.

1coolpc.com has one that they say is real solid for 18 dollars, they say the brand is sort of little known but the cooler is kickass.

All copper and 5600 rpms for the 60 mm fan.

Also should i apply it with AS Epoxy or the arctic alumina, do to the conductivity issues?

Thanks men.

They're all about equal, however what sets them apart is their fans. Usually Blower fans. Of course, you're going to want to look for the highest CFM you can get, unless you're opposed to some loud, high-pitched whining....

Personally, I'd probably pick up this cooler and remove the socket clips. (Sorry, its a little pricey)

As far as mounting goes, you could attach it using some thermal epoxy, and would also encourage you to get some non-conductive stuff if you're particularly prone to sloppy applications.

Personally (again, you don't have to), I'd probably drill some holes lining up with the 9700's 2 mounting holes on the 1U cooler. Pick up some nylon washers for inbetween the bolts for some added protection, and slap it on there.

Good Luck!

look for something thats either skived or xtruded, not soldered or bonded, cause that sucks....

there should be a better vantec thats skived, or better yet a fanless opteron 1U sink, thermaltake has one thats skived, should be the best there is...

i meant i would apply it with arctic alumina since i dont want to link any leads.

I really dont like drilling stuff so i would probably just attach it permanently, a 1u is fairly light so it should be a problem in terms of support.

Probably a Britney HSF(rackmount server version) would be the best.
The 60mm blower fan on it probably spins at about 10,000 RPM.
What might prevent a Britney HSF(or any rackmount HSF for that matter) from installing on some 9700s is the voltage regulator module(that shiny metal box(AFAIK, some Built By ATi 9700 and 9800 Pros have it)) blocking it.

star882 said:
Probably a Britney HSF(rackmount server version) would be the best.
The 60mm blower fan on it probably spins at about 10,000 RPM.
What might prevent a Britney HSF(or any rackmount HSF for that matter) from installing on some 9700s is the voltage regulator module(that shiny metal box(AFAIK, some Built By ATi 9700 and 9800 Pros have it)) blocking it.

OK! STOP IT! The "britney" thing IS NOT funny at all.

I would use arctic alumina on the core, because if you put too much on, and it spills over you could risk shorting out some pins on your card.

On my radeon 8500, I used AA epoxy on the ramsinks, and AA epoxy diluted with regular arctic silver on the GPU heatsink. I did this so I could actually get the sucker off if I wanted too.

yea i just ordered the cool jag last night it was the best i could find. Plus i like 1coolpc.com.

they seem like good guys

The mods should so something about it. Honestly, if no one knows wtf a britney cpu is (either an s940 cpu or FAKE), then why the hell would they know what a britney cpu heatsink is? He's going from thread to thread spewing forth fake crap, and it is misleading to someone who wants/needs help. It's just another form of spam, and the last time I checked, that was against the rules.

Oh, that Cooljag is a lot nicer... sorry about my ignorance.

You might want to check out this page has a good guide on getting started.

Last edited:
I used this one. Skivved copper and a good fan.
The best part, only $14.
directron_1759_213302056

http://www.directron.com/dc1206bmr.html

Here it is installed on my 9800np.
9800npmod.jpg

but seriously ANYONE, what IS a britany HSF?

i keep searching for this thing but i just can't find it and all these people keep taking about it... WHY?!?!?!?!?!!?

Back