• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

frustrating overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cujo

i used to have a kt4vl that would run happily all day at 180x12.5 with default vcore. now i can't even do that with my nf7-s rev2. i currently run 200x11 at default vcore (set to 1.7 in bios but cpu-z reads as 1.648). when i bought the nf7-s i was really hoping to hit speeds of 2.4ghz with my AQXDA 0315WPIW. seems even when i turn vcore to 1.775 in bios (equal to 1.73 really) i can't do even 2250mhz stable(have tried high fsb and multi). i've tried upping ram and chipset voltage to no avail. i've bought a slk900u and that hasn't helped. my mobo is stock except for a copper passive hs i've added to SB.

any suggestions would be appreciated as this is really frustrating. i know almost 400mhz oc is good but i'm not even at avg oc in cpu database.

oh, i'm currently using bios 18. also, have tried different ratios (3/3, 5/5, etc.), and have tried disabling and enabling cpu interface. ram timings are 2-2-2-11. can't think of any other relevent info at this point. though if i'm missing something then please ask and i can tell you. systems specs are in sig. my method of testing stable oc is cpu test in 3dmark03, follow by prime95. any of the settings i've tried listed above i can't even get through first cpu test in 3dmark03.

Did you format after you got the new motherboard? And did you make sure you had apic off in bios?

I think to run stable at 2.3-2.4 GHz for the Barton 2500+ on air, you would need a Vcore 1.8 - 1.9+ V. If you feel it would be too high for 24/7, at least try it for testing. Your SLK-900 should be able to handle the cooling at that voltage.

What voltage was that to run it at 2250 MHz using your old motherboard? To increase from your old number of 2250 MHz, you would need about 100-150 mV more on Vcore to get 100 MHz increase above 2250 MHz.

tyranos, i format probably once every couple of months and for sure when i got my new mobo. tell me about apic. it's currently on.

hitech, my chip ran just fine at 2250 on my old kt400 with vcore 1.65. why would 2250 with similar vcore not run fine on my nf7-s?

just tried at 2250mhz vcore 1.77 and froze in cpu test2 on 3dmark. somehow i can run 1.65 all day at 2200mhz but 2250 freezes me up.

What fan speed are you running the TT SFII. From your sig, it says 2000 rpm. If so, it is too low for cooling a CPU running 2.3 - 2.4 GHz. Raise it to max for testing.

In your old motherboard, how was the voltage 1.65 V measured for it to run at 2250 MHz. I suppose 2250 MHz is for load and stable, Prime95-like.

2000rpm was fine on old setup when i had a volcano11. i assumed it would do the same and better with slk900u. anyway, temps don't go past 50C idle in bios when vcore at 1.77.

never prime95ed in old setup but it passed 3dmark03 for sure and ran games for hours with no crashes.

also, i've heard this bios reads temp higher than actual.

gonna try bios 17 if i can get my hands on it. i've heard it's the best.

take everything else out that you don't need and try it at that speed, maybe it just so happens that something else screws up at the same time for no reason.. :-/

format HD, turn fans on max..

fans are at half speed. hdd was formatted like 4 days ago. what should i take out? my burner or dvd rom? i have no pci devices. i have basically the same components in a nf7-s that i had in the kt4 yet i achieved a higher stable oc with settings equal in the kt4. i'm trying to figure out why. i have obvious things like cachable video and spread spectrums disabled.

k, figure this one out. now running bios 17. have been doing p95 stable for 10 minutes so far. 200x11 at "default" voltage settings in bios. cpu-z detecting vcore at 1.600. WTF!!!??? i could never run stable before at these settings. i guess bios 18 just sucks the big one. will post more results as they come in but so far am impressed with bios 17.

ran for a little over half an hour and it crashed and gave me error report in win xp. so strange. gonna up the voltage a tad and see how long she'll go. though 30 mins is probably enough for stability in most things. would like to be at least the 2 hour mark just to be safe.

Back