• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memtest keeps freezing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Curious_George

Registered
I can't seem to get past 98% complete with the standard test without it freezing up. No errors at all up until that point, so I'm clueless as to why it keeps doing this. So far I've switched between both my sticks, in single and dual channel, with different timings and voltage and it doesn't seem to have much of an affect. I also know it isn't a heat issue, since nothing is overclocked currently, and my computer is in a cool room.

Btw, The setup this is happening with is:

2.6c
p4c800-e
mushkin 3200 promo x2
antec truepower 480

Any ideas would be appreciated.

OK, not alone!

When i run MemTest it does the same thing. Previously it did find some errors on one stick (of four) in my set up, but it also would occasionly freeze at about 98% complete with no errors. If I ran again, it would breeze through, so it was a random lock up. I RMA'd the bad stick and checked the replacment set up and it did fine until the final 98%.
I thought it might be one the caches on the CPU, but I've been progressively OC'ing the past few days and running SiSandra burn-in and Prime95 for hours (12+) at a stretch with no lock ups or crashes, so I don't think it's the CPU. I started a thread on it earlier and no definite cause was identified. Just know you're not alone in this quandry. :rolleyes:
If someone has some input, it would be welcomed.

EDIT: It can't be bad memory when it wil run through with out the freeze on a consecutive try, can it?

Yeah it can. I've gotten hit on the 3rd and 4th loops sometimes. Especially with late 6th and 7th errors. One pass doesnt mean the rams ok.

You never know, it could be a cache on the CPU. But in that case use Prime95 and test with small size FFT as an option. If memory is not to blame but the cache of CPU, that will error it out.

If not then it is memory or ... you never know.

Back