• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

heat a problem for ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koontz946

im planning on overclocking a 2.4c -> ~3.6 (hopefully)... but i was wondering, would the type of ram im using hold me back?

im using 1gb of ddr400 hynix ram @ cas2.5/5/3/3/7.8 with no heat spreaders on it or anything... would putting some on do anything for a higher overclock?

i can run it at about 450mhz, but not much higher than that (as far as ive tested)... it wouldnt bother me to run it at 400mhz or a bit less, but i would of course rather have better performance...

mainly my question is this: if im shooting for 3.6ghz, will i NEED to put heatspreaders on my ram?

well, seeing as how in most cases heat spreders do little and sometimes insulat heat to make a problem worse, i doubt you would need them, they are a looks only kind of thing, unless maby if you are running 3~3.3vdimm on the memory.

in all honesty, if you have good case air flow you are probably as good as it will get, or you could place a 60~80mm fan in the area of the memory to blow along the sticks, that would do more than any heat spreader

...because your ram just doesn't go any faster? Heat spreaders make me laugh. If you're worried about memory heat, put some heatsinks on it. Lol... let's put something on our hot components that spreads the heat around... alot of good that will do us...

Back