• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vga wb idea - cools gpu + memory - tell me what you think

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squeakygeek

University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
This is for a Radeon 9500pro. The arrows in the pic explain the concept, not the actual internal workings that I will eventually mill. Other than that, it's pretty self explanitory - it cools the gpu and the memory on both sides, and it doesn't take up any pci slot space. Tell me what you think!

radeonwb.jpg

pardon the crappiness, it was late when I made this graphic.

[EDIT] also, please make suggestions for actual internal design. I am considering a simple zig zag for the gpu, and maybe just a flat run over the memory. I don't think the memory makes enough heat to warrant making fins that will slow down the water. What do you think? Let me know!

[EDIT] D'oh! I just realized this isn't in the water cooling section. Sorry about that mods.

Last edited:
Looks to be a good idea

You will need a seperate block for the gpu tho as the gpu and ram are at differant heights

Take a look at blade runners work in the waterblock gallery

A simple straight flat run over the memory is fine because it makes little heat in the first place. the gpu block wold work pretty well as a zigzag kinda like you have drawn.

is this going to be copper?? i think i may have to have a go at water cooling again when my 9500pro gets here :)

Some Tyan Radeon cards use this sort of heatsink that overlaps the GPU and both memory sides, albiet air coolers!

Good idea, but there are two problems.
I was designing block for my whole Ge 4 Ti which has mem on both sides.

1. problem - mem and GPU on different levels and need to avoid electronics around mem
2. problem - clamping force - if block is on one side, you just mount it, but if it's on both sides, it has to go on card very tightly and needs to be clamped with something - like some U-shaped stiff spring

Ven0m said:
1. problem - mem and GPU on different levels and need to avoid electronics around mem

Would need to mill down the block over the gpu.

2. problem - clamping force - if block is on one side, you just mount it, but if it's on both sides, it has to go on card very tightly and needs to be clamped with something - like some U-shaped stiff spring

I found some mini bar clamps at Menards - 3 for a buck. I will cut off the excess bar with a hacksaw. Great deal.

do you have to worry about clamp pressure on the vid ram? Maybe you can silver epox a copper pipe to them? Dont know dont like messing with vid cards it's a expensive habit.

Back