• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best P4 Cooler with Gigabyte Board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deereal

Registered
I have the Pentium 2.4C and am still attempting to overclock it to optimum level. I have gotten it up to 3.17 so far but the CPU starts to overheat at 60 degrees celsius and reboots the machine. I am currently using the retail heatsink and fan combo and need to upgrade to better cooling. I did a little reading and was interested in the Zalman 7000 as I heard it was both quiet and powerful. The problem is that I have the Gigabyte 8KNXP which has the extra dual phase power card in a slot near the cpu. I read that because the Zalman is so wide it wont fit unless I remove that card which I don't want to do. Is there a close runner up or better heatsink\fan combo that acually WILL FIT on my board? I am looking for great air cooling but don't want to sound like my machine is going to launch either! Any advice would be helpful since I need to buy something soon. Thanks!

Welcome to the forums. This should go in the cooling section, so I'll move it for you.

what about the Thermalright SP-94 Heatpipe?

can't guarantee it will fit, but looks like it should not be much bigger than the P4 clearance area:

thp1.jpg

another which has even smaller dimensions is my heatsink, the ALpha PAL 8942:

al1.jpg

Last edited:
the SLK 900U will fit, and i have a 92mm panaflow on it... works good for me.

I contacted thermalright about the sp-94 and this board and they said they designed it so it would fit boards that had dps cards and I would have no problem. Unfortunately I couldn't find one for sale and ordered a 947u. It should be here by tuesday.

Phil

Zalman TNPS 7000 CU, its big its fits with out modding or removing the stock p4 bracket, and it cools like a monster, with out a lot of noise. It is atleast twice as quite as the stock P4 heat sink i used to know, and it cools massivly better.

hmm 60C at 3.17 seems a bit high... maybe you should check to make sure ur hsf is mounted correctly... my 2.4c on stock does 3.28 stable (although if youre planning on o'cing much higher than 3.28 then you should def get a better hsf... ive heard great things about the cnps 7000)

I am going to be hitting a computer show on the 27th and I will be able to check out all these selections first hand before purchasing one

Back