• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2100 or 2500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

setl4nothing

oh the desicions.
i know the ups of having the extra cache, but i also know the overclocking capabilities of the 2100. i've been reading a lot on both, but im looking for some first hand experiences with both. can someone out there edjumuhcate me on what i should try? system in my sig should still be up to date. thanks guys
nolan

Consider that you don't have the greatest of heatsinks I would say the 2500 since that has more raw power to begin with and you probably won't be able to push either chip to its limits with your cooling.

You should get 2.3 out of that 1700+ T-Bred.

Weak points:
1. non NForce2 chipset mobo.
2. Thermaltake heatsink instead of Thermalright.
3. Possible cheap power supply, you didn't list it.

That's what I would look into if you wanted extra 200 MHz.
Of course you get double cache by going with 2500+ so that's like 100 MHz right there.

Forget about 2100+ in your case, you already have a 1700+ T-Bred B.

My Tbred B 2100+ 0248 MPMW chip ran at 2.55ghz in a friend's system... my own system's PSU isn't strong enough to run it at that, though (I'm buying a new one shortly). Right now it's running at 2.22ghz. I'm going to order a beefy Antec PSU on Monday and let her rip :)!

i would go 2500. I really don't think that a 2100 would be an upgrade over ur 1700. I had more luck with my 2500 than with my 2100. But since I seem to like stock more than anything lately, I am even happier with my 3000.

well, money is an issue, else id be going higher lol. on the PSU note, ive got an antec 350W true power. i think thats right. it can handle everything ive got in there now, and the voltages stay very consistent. my mobo/ram is holding back the OC, cause i cant get much over 180fsb. just lookin to upgrade for some more power for HL2 :p so i guess its lookin like a 2500. thanks again guys
nolan

You'd be WAY better off getting an Nforce2 board rather than spending the money on a new processor.

You're at 2.1ghz right now according to your sig. Sticking a 2500+ in there, assuming the o/c average is about 2.3ghz, you won't be able to tell the difference in your game.

Why? Because your video card is by far the biggest bottleneck in your system. Your reasoning for choosing the 2500+ over other components is therefore null and void, as you will not see any difference while playing HL2.

Personally I would choose the components that are creating the biggest bottlenecks first. A decent Nforce2 board can be had for cheaper than the 2500+, less than 100$. That or a nice video card would help you out a lot. Ti4200's are going for less than 100$ as well, and would show a night and day difference in any of the games you play compared to the one you currently have.

You'd be WAY better off getting an Nforce2 board rather than spending the money on a new processor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

like he said

only thing ur system is missing is some good bandwidth

nforce2 will give u that

u may be lucky enough to run ur dimms @400fsb

thats my plan anyway

some brandnew cooling-nforce2 chipset

i totally agree with adelphia i just got a 2100+ and the FSB only goes 169 at max because my MB sucks. if you got a nforce board your 1700+ would be awesome.

okay okay. so wheres the best/cheapest place to pick up the nforce2 boards.... im seeing some a7n8x-x for like 85. not sure how great those are though. anybody got a cheaper way to get them, lemme know. :)

this should probably be pushed into the mobo thread now....but, what the hey. that article was saying that the single channel nforce2 400s are out-performing dual? so...would a a7n8x-x be satisfactory? or should i just bite it and get the abit, since it can unlock. stupid desicion wieghing...and not to mention confusion. thanks again. imma go read some in the mobo threads and see what i can come up with.
nolan

Last edited:
Back